Tyre advice for a beginner please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerry

Regular
Hi, I am new here and am fairly new to my bike too! I am planning to use it more and more. It will be just about all road work, some a little rough as they are little country lanes . I have a Giant Sedona which I have had for roughly 3 years. It still has the tyres it came with but I'd like to change them for something a bit easier for road riding. Can anyone advise me as to what to get? I have never changed my tyres before as never really got into cycling before so I really am a beginner! I found some called Schwalbe City Jet Semi-Slick Puncture Protected Rigid Tyre 26 x 1.95 , do these sound ok? The tyres on it at the moment are Kenda I think. Many Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Peteaud

Veteran
Those tyres are fine for what you want providing no muddy bits.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Cr...sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1343157386&sr=1-4
If you need to get a bit muddy here and there try these above.

Or go M+ (my fav) as in between

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Ma...sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1343157480&sr=1-3

Gary E

Veteran
Hi Kerry. I swapped my chunky off-road tyres to these a couple of years ago and noticed a huge difference. After the change I found I could actually freewheel down slight inclines that I'd previously had to pedal on to keep moving :laugh:

To be honest I think any of the 'city tyres' will give you the same effect and Schwalbe are certainly a good brand. You do trade grip for ease of travel but if, as you say, you're going to be travelling by road and not down forest trails this won't really be a problem ^_^

OP
OP
K

Kerry

Regular
Thank you both for your replies. Will look more at the Schwalbe ones.
Gary , The ones you showed look ideal but I just wondered what you thought of this, which is what someone says in their review , " but only if you use slime filled tubes & the weldite puncture protection tape". I have never heard of slime filled tubes before, did you use them for yours? Many Thanks again.

Gary E

Veteran
No I just put them straight on the bike.
I can't remember getting any more punctures with them than I get with either my Hybrid or road bike.
People's experiences will always differ, all I can say is they've been great on my bike. Free running on the road but with a little tread to help on the rare occasion I go off-road.

Top Bottom