Tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fog Beast

Regular
Hi all. I just purchased a bike for my daily commute but discovered that there is an easier route. Problem now is that I have bought a road bike and part of the better route is on gravel. Would I be able to put some bigger tyres on to cope with this? How do I find out what size tyres the frame will take?

Or of course do I accept the mistake and take the road route? (Rather not as it adds about 30 minotes to the journey).

Yes, you will be fine. Obviously wider tyres will improve your comfort but you'll have to experiment or eyeball how much wider you can go.

If you think roadbikes are not capable of gravel, Google Paris-Roubaix race. Fasten your seatbelt before doing so.

OP
OP
Fog Beast

Fog Beast

Regular
Yes, you will be fine. Obviously wider tyres will improve your comfort but you'll have to experiment or eyeball how much wider you can go.

If you think roadbikes are not capable of gravel, Google Paris-Roubaix race. Fasten your seatbelt before doing so.
Thanks for the advice. I will try a couple of different tyre types.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'd be interested in this too. Part of my new commute could be on an unpaved track (NCN 45). I'd normally use my hybrid with 28mm or 32mm tyres. I was thinking of putting 28s on my single speed for this route. I wouldn't dream of taking my road bike down there but it sounds like it could be possible.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pressure's a bigger factor than size per se, ime, as is the size of the aggregate (larger is trickier)

High pressure tyres will feel twitchy and squirmy as they ping stones out from under. It's rideable, but you'll need to pick a line more carefully & slow down a bit. Be disciplined about cleaning the bike & drivetrain too.

HorTs

Über Member
As I always do when it comes to type recommendations I will suggest any of the Schwalbe Plus range. Probably the Durano or the Marathon for this situation, the Marathons likely to be a better choice due to the gravel. They are my preferred options because I will always favour puncture protection.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As I always do when it comes to type recommendations I will suggest any of the Schwalbe Plus range. Probably the Durano or the Marathon for this situation, the Marathons likely to be a better choice due to the gravel. They are my preferred options because I will always favour puncture protection.
Wouldn't the casings be a bit stiff? I can imagine a similar problem to that of a tyre with high pressure, in terms of handling. (I do have M+ on one of my bikes, but it's been used on road only).

Boon 51

Veteran
In most cases puncture protection comes with a stiffer and heavier and a tad slower tyre but that's the way it is.. Marathon's are very good I prefer the 28cc over the 32cc but have a look at Kenda Block Eight's also.
Or Gatoskin's 28cc which is more of a road tyre but still tough and I run mine on 5 bar not 6 or 8 bar for more comfort.

Cyclist33

it really depends on the specific frame youve got. i doubt youll get many road bikes that can clear a tyre such as a small block eight.

Top Bottom