Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A quick update - I was lucky enough to finally get a Bikehangar space and at the end of my road :smile: Key came today but I don't have a lock for the bike yet. Will get one soon! If I'd have known back in February I would have gone for a hybrid bike with suspension, but never mind.
Louise
Trust us, you REALLY don't need the suspension. The right tyres and pressures are better, and much lighter.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Trust us, you REALLY don't need the suspension. The right tyres and pressures are better, and much lighter.
I only needed it light to carry it up and down the stairs - I had no knowledge of Bikehangars until someone on here mentioned them being available here in Glasgow. My previous bike had suspension and was great for cycling over uneven ground. I can live without it though!

I only needed it light to carry it up and down the stairs - I had no knowledge of Bikehangars until someone on here mentioned them being available here in Glasgow. My previous bike had suspension and was great for cycling over uneven ground. I can live without it though!

100% yes. My non-suspension MTB goes anywhere, all in the tyres as DC says.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The argument here is that whilst front suspension will do a little more to smooth out bumps than tyres alone run at a reasonable pressure (i.e not too hard), it also make the bike heavier, this taking more energy to accelerate and go uphills. So for light off road / tow paths etc (but not technical gnarly thru the woods MTBing) the benefits from having a light rigid fork, outweigh the little bit of extra cushioning you get from a heavier suspension fork.

Well after having some Vittoria tryes on the bike for about five years (this is the winter bike) as the sides of the trye tread seems to be cracking I think its time to replace them and now that I am on alimited budget being a pensioner am looking for some help with this. Have been wonder too about the benifits of perhaps a 25mm trye instead of the 23mm I have fitted at the moment though as the bike came with 23mm tryes wondered if the 25mms will fit? suppose the best wasy is to measure to presant clearance between the forks would the mudgard make a differance? all help would most welcome. thanks.

DSC_0005(9).JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
On my carbon it is the gap between tyre and seat tube that is the limiting factor to 23s, not the front. In terms of comfort, I’m not convinced on rubbish surfaces that there’s a whole lot of difference between 23 & 25mm at the pressures I require at my weight 90-100psi!

Vittoria tyres are always the best VfM in my view, there’s always some deal on Zaffiros or Rubinos. Sub £20 a tyre

T4tomo

Legendary Member
and now that I am on alimited budget being a pensioner am looking for some help with this

I have some loose change on my desk, pm your address and I'll post it off:okay:

More seriously its unlikely that 25's wont fit, and a bit more volume will help a little with grip and comfort

Thanks Will look into this. I must admit that the Vittoria tyres have done well over the time, though I can't help wondering why on earth they started to crack; would you think its just age. both the tyres are in the same state will have a look round for some more Vittoria ones first as having just fitted new Michelin Lithion.3 tyres to the carbon bike. Can't be seen to spend another lump of money on another set for the alloy bike, it does get used in the summer as its got mudgards.

Oh Thinking about the cracking thing I hadn't thought about coloured tyres being subject to that, as had some lithion coloured tyres on the cabon bike and no cracking has appeared on them. both bikes are kept in the garage. The problem with the Lithion tyres was just really hard to mount on the wheel first off . On a simular line of thought Has any of you had experiance with Mr Tuffy tyre liners I have just read some reviews of the Zaffiro tyres and people claim that the Zaffiros puncture quite easy and they have fitted these liners, I must its not something I'd even thought of! The Liners are quite expensive I thought too. Though I've had some Zaffiros before and can't remember if I suffered many punctures with them

Oh Thinking about the cracking thing I hadn't thought about coloured tyres being subject to that, as had some lithion coloured tyres on the cabon bike and no cracking has appeared on them. both bikes are kept in the garage. The problem with the Lithion tyres was just really hard to mount on the wheel first off . On a simular line of thought Has any of you had experiance with Mr Tuffy tyre liners I have just read some reviews of the Zaffiro tyres and people claim that the Zaffiros puncture quite easy and they have fitted these liners, I must its not something I'd even thought of! The Liners are quite expensive I thought too. Though I've had some Zaffiros before and can't remember if I suffered many punctures with them

Got a pair of Mavic Yksions (25c) in the shed if you want to check for fit?. Used a couple of times before I went 28c. :okay:

Oh if I'd been a bit slower on the uptake, I would have taken you up on your offer but I had a £10 voucher from Trez cycling I got a pair of Vittoria zaffiros 25mm for £15.00 as they were on offer and fitted them this morning they fit ok haven't tried cycling on them yet but l'm sure that they will be okay they fitted really easily too.

Oh if I'd been a bit slower on the uptake, I would have taken you up on your offer but I had a £10 voucher from Trez cycling I got a pair of Vittoria zaffiros 25mm for £15.00 as they were on offer and fitted them this morning they fit ok haven't tried cycling on them yet but l'm sure that they will be okay they fitted really easily too.

Sounds like a deal, glad you are sorted :okay:

Top Bottom