Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Loueese

Hi
With the nicer weather, I have been trying out my Liv Alight :rolleyes:. It came fitted with Giant S-X3 700x38c tyres. However, they don't seem to have the grip I need for riding on rough towpaths. I was thinking of replacing with something like the chunkier Specialized Crossroads Hybrid 700x38c tyres? Unfortunately my local cycle shop doesn't seem to stock those tyres in 700x38 size - only 26" x 1.9" - any idea why that might be? Would the 700x38c Specialized Crossroads be ok for the rough paths I want to ride on?
Many thanks for any advice
Louise
Edit: ps they do have a Crossroads Armadillo tyre in 700x38c but they have 'deprecated tyre size' next to it - am I missing something?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How about something like a Schwalbe gravel tyre in a 35 or 40? I have some 35s on my gravelwinter bike, good for rough paths and roads
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwal...aceguard-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-100498.html

Halfords have a 38 if you prefer to stick with the same
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...llround-folding-bike-tyre-700x38c-509310.html

The Crossroads looks very chunky and off road if you plan to ride on the road at all. They’ll also be heavy given you have to carry your bike upstairs! 680g each so nearly 1.5kg just for tyres!

Rutland have in stock online
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/part...lized-crossroads-700x38c-tyre/00316-0138.html

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
It would be impossible for a bike shop to stock every single tyre brand/model in every single size - there are thousands. They will stock what is most popular sales line for them. You can buy online if you really want those

vickster

Legendary Member
They’ll also be heavy given you have to carry your bike upstairs! 680g each so nearly 1.5kg just for tyres!

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Yeah, I realise there are other options... It's just that I wanted to get my local shop to fit the replacement - sorry I should have made that clear :smile: The shop doesn't seem to stock many options. My bike is due it's first service soonish and I wanted to get the shop to replace the tyres and fit a rear pannier rack.
Cheers
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

They’ll also be heavy given you have to carry your bike upstairs! 680g each so nearly 1.5kg just for tyres!
You may be right! Though I'm not sure how much extra they may weigh? I've been getting to grips with carrying the bike up and down stairs :smile: I've found it easier to lift the whole bike and go front wheel down the stairs and rear wheel first up the stairs. I'm a bit out of breath after carrying it up the stairs :wacko: My hopes to get a Cyclehoop Bikehangar place have not come to fruition :sad:. When I didn't hear anything I got in touch and they said there were like 30 people applied before me... It's not a very friendly application system... :sad:
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

It would be impossible for a bike shop to stock every single tyre brand/model in every single size - there are thousands. They will stock what is most popular sales line for them. You can buy online if you really want those
Yeah, I understand that. I just don't want to mess about with trying to fit them myself... Maybe I'll ask them if they'll fit the replacements if I buy them elsewhere. Seems a bit of a cheek but maybe they'll be ok with it as I want the pannier rack also.
Louise

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, I understand that. I just don't want to mess about with trying to fit them myself... Maybe I'll ask them if they'll fit the replacements if I buy them elsewhere. Seems a bit of a cheek but maybe they'll be ok with it as I want the pannier rack also.
Louise
They’ll charge you either way, either within the purchase price or fitting.
It’s also good to practice taking tyres on an off when sat at home in the dry and warn :smile:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

They’ll charge you either way, either within the purchase price or fitting.
It’s also good to practice taking tyres on an off when sat at home in the dry and warn :smile:
Oh, paying for them isn't a problem... I'll only ever be out on the bike in the dry and warm - and not very far away either!
Louise

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yeah, I realise there are other options... It's just that I wanted to get my local shop to fit the replacement - sorry I should have made that clear :smile: The shop doesn't seem to stock many options. My bike is due it's first service soonish and I wanted to get the shop to replace the tyres and fit a rear pannier rack.
Cheers
Louise
they would surely order stuff in for you or fit what you supply.

as suggested above schwalbe G one all rounds are good and relatively light (it not just carrying, it makes it easier to pedal / accelerate with lighter tyres)
Panaracer gravel king SK (or SK+ for more puncture protection are a similar quality offroad tyre, that also roll well on roads.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Panaracer/GravelKing-SK-Plus-TLC-Folding-Tyre/OX9P

come in black or black tan and a variety of sizes incl 700 x 35 and 700 x 38

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have a chat with your LBS. They'll be well aware that they can't match the internet for components price and inventory so they might be happy to fit (for a charge) items you've bought elsewhere - or price match them - esp if they are getting other work like a service too. I did similar with my LBS - not tyres, but similar.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The grip you're talking about may not have much to do with the type of tyre or tread but more to do with what pressure you're running them at.
If it's a soft loose surface reducing the to around 40 psi should improve things quite a bit. Comfort will improve too. Give it a try.

Top Bottom