Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another vote for Landcruisers if you must have tread, but you don't need it, as previously mentioned. Pressure reduction first, see how it goes.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

That's light, set at the minimum on the side of the tyre :okay:
40 vs. 38 won't make any discernible difference, maybe ask the bike shop if you have clearance for a 45mm tyre. If not going to fit mudguards, I would think you should do?
When going over rough ground, lift up off the saddle and stand on the pedals, I find that much better myself.
There are always times it's going to feel bumpy on a bike. Padded gloves and shorts can help
Um, there is only a max value - 75psi. I don't yet have a gauge so can't set/measure what they actually are. The tyres are Giant S-X3 'puncture protect' but I can't find out anything about them as regards weight vs pressure. I'm not even sure if they're tubeless, or not. I suppose they are kind of cheaper oem-type tyres? I think the bike weighs ~11.5kg, so plus me, say, 73kg total. I have front and rear mudguards fitted - seemed a good idea at the time :tongue: I get the impression you can only lower the pressure if the tyre itself is strong enough? One of my reasons for thinking I need chunkier tyres is that most other riders I see on the towpath have them! That may not be a good enough reason for changing them... It's not the bumpiness per se that bothers me so much as maybe not having the control. But, there again, along with my small framed body, my arms aren't very strong... Perhaps I need to do some weightlifting though I'm not optimistic about building muscles at my age :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Um, there is only a max value - 75psi. I don't yet have a gauge so can't set/measure what they actually are. The tyres are Giant S-X3 'puncture protect' but I can't find out anything about them as regards weight vs pressure. I'm not even sure if they're tubeless, or not. I suppose they are kind of cheaper oem-type tyres? I think the bike weighs ~11.5kg, so plus me, say, 73kg total. I have front and rear mudguards fitted - seemed a good idea at the time :tongue: I get the impression you can only lower the pressure if the tyre itself is strong enough? One of my reasons for thinking I need chunkier tyres is that most other riders I see on the towpath have them! That may not be a good enough reason for changing them... It's not the bumpiness per se that bothers me so much as maybe not having the control. But, there again, along with my small framed body, my arms aren't very strong... Perhaps I need to do some weightlifting though I'm not optimistic about building muscles at my age :laugh:
Oh that's odd, normally gives a range maybe try 55.
Doing some strength 'workouts' are very important as we age for bone density, so perhaps get yourself a mixed set of hand weights (less awkward than living the bike over your head 20 times :laugh:)
Something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTX-Fitness-Dumbbell-Weight-Carry/dp/B01L2FX4PY/ref=asc_df_B01L2FX4PY/

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Um, there is only a max value - 75psi. I don't yet have a gauge so can't set/measure what they actually are. The tyres are Giant S-X3 'puncture protect' but I can't find out anything about them as regards weight vs pressure. I'm not even sure if they're tubeless, or not.
Almost certainly are. Almost all Giant bikes come set up tubeless from new currently.

I suppose they are kind of cheaper oem-type tyres? I think the bike weighs ~11.5kg, so plus me, say, 73kg total. I have front and rear mudguards fitted - seemed a good idea at the time :tongue: I get the impression you can only lower the pressure if the tyre itself is strong enough? One of my reasons for thinking I need chunkier tyres is that most other riders I see on the towpath have them! That may not be a good enough reason for changing them... It's not the bumpiness per se that bothers me so much as maybe not having the control. But, there again, along with my small framed body, my arms aren't very strong... Perhaps I need to do some weightlifting though I'm not optimistic about building muscles at my age :laugh:
The limit for lower pressure (particularly with tubeless) is just the point at which the pressure isn't enough to hold the tyre against the rim under hard cornering, or where the tyre is "squirming" enough to affect control. With tubed tyres you also have to think about pinch punctures, but that isn't an issue with tubeless.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Oh that's odd, normally gives a range maybe try 55.
Doing some strength 'workouts' are very important as we age for bone density, so perhaps get yourself a mixed set of hand weights (less awkward than living the bike over your head 20 times :laugh:)
Something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTX-Fitness-Dumbbell-Weight-Carry/dp/B01L2FX4PY/ref=asc_df_B01L2FX4PY/

Oh, I have dumbbells and a barbell... But life's too short now! I could probably increase my strength if I worked out every day for a couple of weeks but would lose it if I stopped for a week... I can lift the bike off the ground to get it up and down the stairs but I have my limits ^_^ I'm a weed, I know :blush:

I think the fitted 'Giant' tyre is intended for on-road use as the bike is really for urban use https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-3-disc

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh, I have dumbbells and a barbell... But life's too short now! I could probably increase my strength if I worked out every day for a couple of weeks but would lose it if I stopped for a week... I can lift the bike off the ground to get it up and down the stairs but I have my limits ^_^ I'm a weed, I know :blush:

I think the fitted 'Giant' tyre is intended for on-road use as the bike is really for urban use https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-3-disc
Hmmm the link does specify 40mm as the max width
  • Tyres
    Giant S-X3 Puncture Protect, 700x38c (max tyre width possible: 40mm
The tyres in the link do look pretty chunky and treaded? But no mention of being tubeless

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I'm wondering about tubeless on this bike...it has a freewheel, not a cassette. Would they really bother to make tubeless ready wheels with that older technology? I may be wrong, but it seems odd.
I've no idea and I don't know what you're talking about! Sorry, for my ignorance!
Looks like they have a tube

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I'd mentioned looking into 45mm tyres as an option for comfort, but it's not possible.
The tyres on the bike pictured in the link look like they have a chunky tread. Can you post a picture of your tyres?
I edited my reply :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I weigh 88 kg and find 50 psi about as high as I want/need to go with the 35C tyres on my CAADX. Bigger tyres can use even lower pressures. Smaller people can use even lower pressures!

You don't need to be too scientific about this! Let some air out and enjoy more comfort and grip. Just don't do it to the point where the tyres get flattened on bumps causing pinch ('snakebite') punctures .

Top Bottom