Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Oh, I have dumbbells and a barbell... But life's too short now! I could probably increase my strength if I worked out every day for a couple of weeks but would lose it if I stopped for a week... I can lift the bike off the ground to get it up and down the stairs but I have my limits ^_^ I'm a weed, I know :blush:

I think the fitted 'Giant' tyre is intended for on-road use as the bike is really for urban use https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-3-disc
I'm just back from the bike shop and picked up a mini pump with gauge :smile:. I asked the sales guy and he pointed to a similar Giant s-x2 tyre which also had on it min 50 max 75psi on the tyre rim. I fell in then that it's probably on my tyre also. Checked when I got home and it does indeed say 50-75psi. I needed my glasses and a torch to see it! Now that I know it's there and the range, and have the gauge, I have something to play with. Next time I go out on the bike I'll try it at ~65psi and see if it feels better - fingers crossed!

vickster

Legendary Member
given your low weight, I'd drop to 55

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Well I had a quick go with the new pump - says it's a 'twist lock'. However, I couldn't get it to register any pressure?? I must be doing something wrong, d'uh. Of course, I undid the Presta nut, engaged the pump, twisted 90 deg so the meter was visible, and... nothing! Surely it should show the current pressure? A slight touch on the top of the valve releases air. Any ideas??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well I had a quick go with the new pump - says it's a 'twist lock'. However, I couldn't get it to register any pressure?? I must be doing something wrong, d'uh. Of course, I undid the Presta nut, engaged the pump, twisted 90 deg so the meter was visible, and... nothing! Surely it should show the current pressure? A slight touch on the top of the valve releases air. Any ideas??
It shows the pressure that you are pumping IN, not the pressure that is already there! If you think about it, the valve closes again as soon as you stop pumping.

The pump will indicate what you pump in!

If you listen carefully as you are pumping you can hear the valve open as you exceed the pressure in the tyre and at that point, the gauge will correctly show the pressure.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

It shows the pressure that you are pumping IN, not the pressure that is already there! If you think about it, the valve closes again as soon as you stop pumping.

The pump will indicate what you pump in!

If you listen carefully as you are pumping you can hear the valve open as you exceed the pressure in the tyre and at that point, the gauge will correctly show the pressure.
That's not good :sad: So I can't just check what the current pressure is? That would mean I'd have to deflate the tyre in order to pump it back up to the required pressure?

Top Bottom