Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Are you pressing in the valve to let a little air out before attaching the pump.
For home use a track pump is far better than those little ones which can be hard to attach and pump
Something like this https://www.cube.eu/en/equipment/parts/air-pumps/product/acid-floor-pump-race-floor-black/ (many other brands and options available)
Now he tells me... I just spent £22.50 on this new gauge pump :'( Yes, I let air out with a couple of taps. I'm wondering if the gauge pump is engaging/working properly. My original, little Vibrelli mini pump seems to work better. I've seen that some Presta valves are quite long but mine are short - perhaps that's the problem?? Also, when I look at the pump outlet on the Vibrelli I can clearly see a slotted screw end thing but can't see much on the gauge pump but that might just be different designs? I know nothing about such things...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Now he tells me... I just spent £22.50 on this new gauge pump :'( Yes, I let air out with a couple of taps. I'm wondering if the gauge pump is engaging/working properly. My original, little Vibrelli mini pump seems to work better. I've seen that some Presta valves are quite long but mine are short - perhaps that's the problem?? Also, when I look at the pump outlet on the Vibrelli I can clearly see a slotted screw end thing but can't see much on the gauge pump but that might just be different designs? I know nothing about such things...
cycle back to the bike shop with it and ask them to show you how it works, they can then figure out whether its a short valve problem or it just isnt working. It might be the twist action of locking it on. You will defo need the HP (high pressure setting) I will just add sometimes with some pumps you need to unscrew the presta nut quite a bit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Who he?
I don’t recall you asking for pump advice before buying one.
That is for you to use if you get a puncture when out and about but it needs to be fit for purpose

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Who he?
I don’t recall you asking for pump advice before buying one.
That is for you to use if you get a puncture when out and about but it needs to be fit for purpose
Um, I did say I needed to get a gauge/pump with gauge but admit I didn't specifically ask which to get - but didn't think I needed to ask about it. When I was a kid we just had bicycle pumps and pumped up until it felt about right!

vickster

Legendary Member
Um, I did say I needed to get a gauge/pump with gauge but admit I didn't specifically ask which to get - but didn't think I needed to ask about it. When I was a kid we just had bicycle pumps and pumped up until it felt about right!
You can still do that as you are a lightweight so don’t need masses of pressure and you won’t overpump I’m sure.
I maybe missed your post asking for pump advice, it’s quite a long thread now

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

cycle back to the bike shop with it and ask them to show you how it works, they can then figure out whether its a short valve problem or it just isnt working. It might be the twist action of locking it on. You will defo need the HP (high pressure setting) I will just add sometimes with some pumps you need to unscrew the presta nut quite a bit.
I fully undid the nut :smile: The blurb with the pump says it's 80-120psi - what does that mean? Does it mean a minimum of 80 psi?? That wouldn't make sense since the manometer goes from 0 (<20) to 120psi. The pump end is double-headed with Schrader on one side and Presta/Dunlop on the other. I presume Presta/Dunlop are similar?
Maybe I'll try again later

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You can still do that as you are a lightweight so don’t need masses of pressure and you won’t overpump I’m sure.
I maybe missed your post asking for pump advice, it’s quite a long thread now
I didn't ask for pump advice - just said I needed to get a gauge to check the pressure. My bad - sorry for the long thread... If I could just get the pump/gauge to work, everything would be fine!

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't ask for pump advice - just said I needed to get a gauge to check the pressure. My bad - sorry for the long thread... If I could just get the pump/gauge to work, everything would be fine!
As suggested, go to the bike shop and let them show you how to use it and check that you can use it yourself

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fully undid the nut :smile: The blurb with the pump says it's 80-120psi - what does that mean? Does it mean a minimum of 80 psi?? That wouldn't make sense since the manometer goes from 0 (<20) to 120psi. The pump end is double-headed with Schrader on one side and Presta/Dunlop on the other. I presume Presta/Dunlop are similar?
It is suggesting that it would be good for people trying to pump their tyres up to as high as that range of pressures. VERY STRONG people!

I guarantee you that 19/20 people would fail miserably trying to get 120 psi out of that little pump; most people wouldn't get 100 psi either; many wouldn't even manage 80 psi. (Not that you need pressures that high.)

I have a full size track pump but my small female cycling pal couldn't get 80 psi even using that. I can do it with one hand but she couldn't do it even sitting on the pump handle. The only way she got any more air into her tyre was to jump up and use the pump handle to break her fall!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes presta and dunlop are similar and use same pump head (dunlop v rare nowadays). 80-120 psi is max you can pump a tyre to with it, depending on how strong your arms are..... its a bit of an arbitrary measure / rating to be honest.

Alex321

Veteran
Still not getting anywhere :sad: There is pressure at the pump end if I put my finger over the hole. I've tried both the HP and the HV setting. I'm wondering if it's just that I'm not strong enough :sad:
It's one of these, by the way: https://www.cube.eu/en/equipment/parts/air-pumps/product/rfr-pump-hpa-all-in-one-black/
I'm thinking of maybe letting a lot of air out but I don't want to find myself with a flat tyre and not able to inflate it!

Louise
You should definitely be using the HP setting, for almost any bike tyres. HV is for things like airbeds, or some car tyres.

I presume you are using the right head for the valve type? With the double-sided head, one side will be for presta/dunlop valves, the other will be for schrader

And if it is presta, you have unscrewed the knurled knob on the top of the valve as far as it will go?

[EDIT} I see from later posts you are doing these.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

As suggested, go to the bike shop and let them show you how to use it and check that you can use it yourself
The pump saga has come to an end - I think - I hope! Out of the blue, Hermes delivered the pump I was expecting on Friday. I'd told the seller I wanted to cancel the order so I thought that was what had happened - especially as I didn't hear anything yesterday. Anyway, it's one of those cheaper, but bigger pumps that you can stand on. I tried it out and it seems to work as expected - yay! I'm not sure about the accuracy of the manometer as it seems to move around a bit but can get it to settle if I pump from a lower pressure to a higher one. I'll have to experiment a bit but at least I have something to work with now. Thanks for the help - everyone!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The pump saga has come to an end - I think - I hope! Out of the blue, Hermes delivered the pump I was expecting on Friday. I'd told the seller I wanted to cancel the order so I thought that was what had happened - especially as I didn't hear anything yesterday. Anyway, it's one of those cheaper, but bigger pumps that you can stand on. I tried it out and it seems to work as expected - yay! I'm not sure about the accuracy of the manometer as it seems to move around a bit but can get it to settle if I pump from a lower pressure to a higher one. I'll have to experiment a bit but at least I have something to work with now. Thanks for the help - everyone!
ace - accuracy doesn't matter too much as long as its consistent.

Track pumps (its proper name) are the best for home pumping. I would start a bit lower pressure than they were at and see how you get on with grip. I'd be surprised if you needed more than 50 / 55psi off road. experimant a bit and find a sweet spot that works for you. Front can be 3-5psi lower than rear and it takes less of the weight.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

ace - accuracy doesn't matter too much as long as its consistent.

Track pumps (its proper name) are the best for home pumping. I would start a bit lower pressure than they were at and see how you get on with grip. I'd be surprised if you needed more than 50 / 55psi off road. experimant a bit and find a sweet spot that works for you. Front can be 3-5psi lower than rear and it takes less of the weight.
I'll give it a go = when the weather warms up again!

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You may be right! Though I'm not sure how much extra they may weigh? I've been getting to grips with carrying the bike up and down stairs :smile: I've found it easier to lift the whole bike and go front wheel down the stairs and rear wheel first up the stairs. I'm a bit out of breath after carrying it up the stairs :wacko: My hopes to get a Cyclehoop Bikehangar place have not come to fruition :sad:. When I didn't hear anything I got in touch and they said there were like 30 people applied before me... It's not a very friendly application system... :sad:
Louise

A quick update - I was lucky enough to finally get a Bikehangar space and at the end of my road :smile: Key came today but I don't have a lock for the bike yet. Will get one soon! If I'd have known back in February I would have gone for a hybrid bike with suspension, but never mind.
Louise

Top Bottom