Tyre Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

The grip you're talking about may not have much to do with the type of tyre or tread but more to do with what pressure you're running them at.
If it's a soft loose surface reducing the to around 40 psi should improve things quite a bit. Comfort will improve too. Give it a try.
It's hard, mostly rough tarmac, sometimes small gravel, sometimes cobble stones. I don't know what pressure they're at but they are very hard to the squeeze :smile:
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

they would surely order stuff in for you or fit what you supply.

as suggested above schwalbe G one all rounds are good and relatively light (it not just carrying, it makes it easier to pedal / accelerate with lighter tyres)
Panaracer gravel king SK (or SK+ for more puncture protection are a similar quality offroad tyre, that also roll well on roads.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Panaracer/GravelKing-SK-Plus-TLC-Folding-Tyre/OX9P

come in black or black tan and a variety of sizes incl 700 x 35 and 700 x 38
They look quite nice, if a bit pricey. I take it tyre price is for a single tyre? I only poodle around so not really concerned with speed/performance - but the current tyres don't feel quite right to me.
Louise

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Loueese where is it in Glasgow that you want to ride?
I might have a set of spare tyres for you, new (some are almost new, I've got a few spare sets).
You could have them for free, I will fit them for you.
Give me an example of where you want to ride but cannot with your current tyres, so I know if my offers are suitable :hello:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

@Loueese where is it in Glasgow that you want to ride?
I might have a set of spare tyres for you, new (some are almost new, I've got a few spare sets).
You could have them for free, I will fit them for you.
Give me an example of where you want to ride but cannot with your current tyres, so I know if my offers are suitable :hello:
Hi - it's not that I can't ride where I want, it's just that I feel like I'm not getting sufficient grip - maybe it's just me! Or maybe I need to let a little air out (as someone mentioned above). I don't have a pressure gauge to check. I was supposed to have had a pump with gauge delivered yesterday, but... Hermes... Anyway, I've been cycling along the canal towpath and will probably be poodling along the Kelvin Walkway as well. I'm keeping off actual roads as much as possible. I don't go fast and only cycle for the purposes of light recreation:blush:

Pat "5mph"

Anyway, I've been cycling along the canal towpath and will probably be poodling along the Kelvin Walkway as well.
I see, those places can become quite slippery, with leaves, mud, water and what not.
I have googled your tyres, they are adequate to the terrain. I was going to offer you a similar style.
However, imo, not too inflated, about 60/70 psi would do. Maybe go to Bike For Good in Victoria road (you are near them, I think) they will adjust your pressure for free.
Freewhel North both at Glasgow Green and at Maryhill have free led rides for beginners on the canal and on the kelvin walkway, completely traffic free.
Well, apart from the traffic of dogs, pedestrians, kids, other cyclists ^_^

Pat "5mph"

I reckon 60-70 psi is probably too high for a light rider on tyres that size. I would probably use around 55-60 and I am a pretty big man!
Hehe, it's up to the total bike and rider weight is: I use 70psi on marathon greenguards 35cc riding the same places where @Loueese wants to go, but my bikes are hefty, I tend to carry the kitchen sink.
Plus those places are full of broken glass.
Let's compromise to 65 psi ^_^ :tongue:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I see, those places can become quite slippery, with leaves, mud, water and what not.
I have googled your tyres, they are adequate to the terrain. I was going to offer you a similar style.
However, imo, not too inflated, about 60/70 psi would do. Maybe go to Bike For Good in Victoria road (you are near them, I think) they will adjust your pressure for free.
Freewhel North both at Glasgow Green and at Maryhill have free led rides for beginners on the canal and on the kelvin walkway, completely traffic free.
Well, apart from the traffic of dogs, pedestrians, kids, other cyclists ^_^
You mean the Giant s-x3 tyres that are currently fitted? They have very little tread and seem more geared to roads? I'm a fairweather rider - will be avoiding wetness... I think they are 75psi max. The bike itself is quite light, as am I :smile: I don't know a Victoria Rd near me. I'm in G20 near Firhill and get on the canal towpath at the new Claypits Urban Nature Reserve. Dales Cycles are my nearest, walking distant bike shop (via the towpath :smile:). I'm not really interested in group rides, but thanks anyway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They look quite nice, if a bit pricey. I take it tyre price is for a single tyre? I only poodle around so not really concerned with speed/performance - but the current tyres don't feel quite right to me.
yes per tyre

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...aGqLJn_wIjyJcH-QBWBoCQyAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

at the other end of the £ scale the ever reliable Landcruiser is a decent tyre. Heavier, but you get what you pay for, but they run well on the road as they have a continuous centre tread, but nobbles on the edge so grip off road, and have good puncture proofing. I've done proper mountain bike muddy stuff on these without issue, and used to commuted down the road to the station etc. bargain price too, I was expecting them to be twice that.

re PSI - no more the 50psi if you are quite light as suggested.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

yes per tyre

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...aGqLJn_wIjyJcH-QBWBoCQyAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

at the other end of the £ scale the ever reliable Landcruiser is a decent tyre. Heavier, but you get what you pay for, but they run well on the road as they have a continuous centre tread, but nobbles on the edge so grip off road, and have good puncture proofing. I've done proper mountain bike muddy stuff on these without issue, and used to commuted down the road to the station etc. bargain price too, I was expecting them to be twice that.

re PSI - no more the 50psi if you are quite light as suggested.
Thanks. Well I'm 167cm x 61kg - does that count as light? I had wondered if it might be advantageous to fit 700 x 40c? I won't be riding on the road much or in the wet. It's just been uneven/rough surfaces that I think are of concern. Could it be my tyre pressure is too high for me? Also, there's no suspension on my Liv Alight 3 so maybe it just seems bumpy without? I'm a newbie so just trying to find my way :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Well I'm 167cm x 61kg - does that count as light? I had wondered if it might be advantageous to fit 700 x 40c? I won't be riding on the road much or in the wet. It's just been uneven/rough surfaces that I think are of concern. Could it be my tyre pressure is too high for me? Also, there's no suspension on my Liv Alight 3 so maybe it just seems bumpy without? I'm a newbie so just trying to find my way :smile:
That's light, set at the minimum on the side of the tyre :okay:
40 vs. 38 won't make any discernible difference, maybe ask the bike shop if you have clearance for a 45mm tyre. If not going to fit mudguards, I would think you should do?
When going over rough ground, lift up off the saddle and stand on the pedals, I find that much better myself.
There are always times it's going to feel bumpy on a bike. Padded gloves and shorts can help

Alex321

Veteran
You mean the Giant s-x3 tyres that are currently fitted? They have very little tread and seem more geared to roads? I'm a fairweather rider - will be avoiding wetness... I think they are 75psi max. The bike itself is quite light, as am I :smile: I don't know a Victoria Rd near me. I'm in G20 near Firhill and get on the canal towpath at the new Claypits Urban Nature Reserve. Dales Cycles are my nearest, walking distant bike shop (via the towpath :smile:). I'm not really interested in group rides, but thanks anyway.
Tread on bike tyres makes very little difference to grip unless you are riding seriously muddy terrain. Because the tyres are so much narrower than car tyres, they don't need tread to displace water.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's hard, mostly rough tarmac, sometimes small gravel, sometimes cobble stones. I don't know what pressure they're at but they are very hard to the squeeze :smile:
Louise
Just think about it for a moment. A bike tyre, even a 40c, when pumped to the max has very small contact footprint with the surface whatever it may be. Reducing that pressure increases the footprint thus increasing grip. Try this first before lashing out on new tyres.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes more tyre volume and a lower pressure will absorb the bumps more volume pumped to the max wont help much, and as @cyclops says above, wont do much for off road grip either

Top Bottom