Tyre bead not seating in rim.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saul

So, had my first puncture yesterday. Going back to my childhood I decided to try and fix it and successfully managed to do so.

However now that I have put the tube back in and the tyre back on, I have got this lifting of tyre.

I have tried to Deflate the tyre, making sure the tyre was back on properly and yet it keeps doing this.

Any reason why? Do I need a new tyre?

furthermore is this safe to cycle on?

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Tim Hall

You'll notice it's right by the valve. Undo the lock ring on the valve, let the tyre down, push the valve towards the rim, such that the tube is pushed more into the tyre, flex the tyre to work the bead into the rim then pump it up again.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
So, had my first puncture yesterday. Going back to my childhood I decided to try and fix it and successfully managed to do so.

However now that I have put the tube back in and the tyre back on, I have got this lifting of tyre.

I have tried to Deflate the tyre, making sure the tyre was back on properly and yet it keeps doing this.

Any reason why? Do I need a new tyre?

furthermore is this safe to cycle on?

@Tim Hall speaks sense. There are those who start mounting the tyre and finish opposite the valve. I now mount from opposite the valve and finish at it just so you can use this trick.

OP
OP
saul

saul

You'll notice it's right by the valve. Undo the lock ring on the valve, let the tyre down, push the valve towards the rim, such that the tube is pushed more into the tyre, flex the tyre to work the bead into the rim then pump it up again.

Thank very much, worked exactly as advised.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well done the OP for sorting this, and gaining new knowledge.
There are those who start mounting the tyre and finish opposite the valve. I now mount from opposite the valve and finish at it just so you can use this trick.
Just to observe that if you start mounting the tyre at the valve and finish off 'opposite' it makes a tight tyre/rim combination a bit tighter as you'll have more difficulty getting the beads down into the rim well if the valve is 'in the way'. I'd recommend starting and finishing mounting a tyre at the 90 degree points to the valve (having done the pushing the valve in bit on the way).
Secondly, it's worth giving the tyre a few pumps and then just going round and checking that the beads are in their right place all the way round before bringing the pressure up to riding psi.

Last edited:

Velochris

Über Member
Perfect advice, but you forgot the crucial last step, throw the useless lock ring away.

It can be used for other purposes. Fits perfectly between a bottle cage and frame if you need to raise the height of the cage (which I do to prevent dirt getting trapped in between the cage and carbon frame).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I generally try to seat the tyre last by the valve and push it up to ensure the tube is not trapped as above.

Top Bottom