Tyre boot question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I didn't know flexible superglue was a "thing" till I read this thread.

I'm buying a new tyre tomorrow, partly because I don't know the French for "flexible superglue".

midlife

Guru
Way back when I seem to recall "black tyre compound" to fix slits in tyres if you couldn't afford a new tyre.....

Duh that's why flexible superglue was invented. Suggest you get up to date with where glues are these days.
I helped invent the latest greatest versions, way back in the 1990s. We developed a way to incorporate ‘rubbery’ components, into old established adhesive recipes ( to some very notable successes).

silva

Über Member
If the damaged tyre is the front one, switch it with the rear. A rear blowout is far less risky than a front one.
Although I would agree with @Slick that a tyre boot is for getting you home, not for going out on.
On the other hand, the rear tyre carries a much bigger load than the front one (I once put my bike on two scales to then sit on it, the front indicated 20, the rear 85 kg. I have to replace (due to wear and flats) a rear tyre 6 times for every 1 front tyre.
My front tyres surface is full of carves, and when I check tyres for objects I find these only in the front tyre.
Because at the rear, much sooner, they're either pressed out either puncture, due to the much higher load.
A long used front tyre that suddenly has to carry a triple times as big load, likely doesn't need much more to blow out even without any exceptional damage event alike a tear due to a metal strip. Both together appears to me like a sure soon failure.
So I'd rather keep the front tyre on its place instead of swapping it with the back.

In the same way you wrote the Wikipedia article on nuclear energy no doubt :rolleyes:
Yeah pretty much. What have you ever done? remind me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yeah pretty much. What have you ever done? remind me.

I bow to your superior knowledge and background and career in both nuclear physics and industrial chemistry. Your shelves must be overflowing with Nobel prizes, and scientific papers, over there in the USA. Perhaps you can provide online links to your scientific papers since we can't find your real name connected with either when we look online at the wiki edit history on nuclear energy and the flexible superglue patents.

Last edited:
I bow to your superior knowledge and background and career in both nuclear physics and industrial chemistry. Your shelves must be overflowing with Nobel prizes, and scientific papers, over there in the USA. Perhaps you can provide online links to your scientific papers since we can't find your real name connected with either when we look online at the wiki edit history on nuclear energy and the flexible superglue patents.
Even if you were searching under the correct name ( you weren’t either searching, or under the right name) I doubt you’d find what you were looking for ( which you weren’t ). ‘Et.al.’ Is a broad church.

I would probably change the tyre ASAP.
But I've done over 3,000 miles on a tyre with a tyre boot in it while on tour, germany -> black sea -> baltic -> almost home.
A piece of glass put a split into an almost new tyre, I'd done less than 500 miles on it.
As it was so new and I was on tour, I just tyre booted it and kept going and going and going ........... ^_^
It was only when it started to bulge at the split and puncture that I had to replace it.

Luck .......... ^_^

Top Bottom