Tyre changing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sutts

I have had huge problems fitting Marathon + tyres over the years, well, that was until this year. The postman bought them and I threw them in the conservatory for a few days until I had time to fit them. I was expecting the usual battle, but they went on with my bare hands and no tools in just a few minutes! The difference, well, the tyres were warm and presumably the wire beading had expanded. In future, I shall be warming the tyres!

GuyBoden

Guru
I took my 25mm Marathon+ off the rear wheel to change a spoke this week, I find it easier if I apply a generous squirt of washing up liquid between the tyre and the rim before I remove the tyre. Then wipe/clean off any washing up liquid from the rim afterwards.

screenman

Legendary Member
2008 thumbs up votes vs 25 thumbs down votes is wrong?
It's helped me.

The 25 were by people who knew what they are doing. Watch it closely it is easy to spot the mistakes.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I can see 2.
I get one side of the tyre on THEN I put the tube in.
He didn't fully inflate the tyre at the end. It'll be full of pinch holes by the time he gets around the block.
Other than those, I see no mistakes.

screenman

Legendary Member
The buckles are marking the nice new rim, he is not squeezing the tyre down into the well, he is not finishing at the valve meaning they tyre is not taking the shortest route. It is a long time since I watched it and only using a sma l kindle here, so I am not going through it again.

The net is full off misinformation.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The buckles are marking the nice new rim, he is not squeezing the tyre down into the well, he is not finishing at the valve meaning they tyre is not taking the shortest route. It is a long time since I watched it and only using a sma l kindle here, so I am not going through it again.

The net is full off misinformation.

Hmm.
The buckles are resting on the tyre itself.
He does actually push the bead into the rim.
I personally don't finish at the valve as it lessens the chance of the tyre resting on the valves shoulders causing a pinch.
I'm watching on a 43" TV screen. Nice and clear.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hmm.
The buckles are resting on the tyre itself.
He does actually push the bead into the rim.
I personally don't finish at the valve as it lessens the chance of the tyre resting on the valves shoulders causing a pinch.
I'm watching on a 43" TV screen. Nice and clear.

Check again on the buckles, as soon as puts the buckles on the the tyre does what? Are you disputing the fact the valve last creates shortest route. In only 50 years of valve last it has never caused a pinch.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just watched it again. It's excellent. No problems with it at all. I'm even prepared to forgive him his beard as he's done such a good job of it.

Fine, I think it is poor and I have never once needed to use straps not pinched a tube, I must be doing something wrong.

Top Bottom