Tyre changing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
Just watched it again. It's excellent. No problems with it at all. I'm even prepared to forgive him his beard as he's done such a good job of it.

The video is very good and the straps are unnecessary in my experience. Following his instructions I can get any tyre on easily with no tools or use of any real strength. This includes ones I previously found difficult to get back on.

OP
OP
Lurcher100

Lurcher100

Regular
Thanks to all for advice and tips, managed to do each in less than 3 minutes in the end.Did use bit of soapy water for last few inches, will carry little amount with me in case .Pleased now as read good reviews re puncture resistance. Yobs around here like to throw bottles in road.

Just watched it again. It's excellent. No problems with it at all. I'm even prepared to forgive him his beard as he's done such a good job of it.
Agree. He's a star. That vid is almost life changing for us cyclists :smile:

I don't use straps but my seatpack has always had two longish snynthetic boot laces in it since seeing his vid. No need to do any knotting as such. Just wrap the laces around tyre and rim (you can pass a bit of a lace over another bit if you feel the need to "lock it" on) and spiral it along a fair length along as you push the tyre into the well. One lace is all that is usually needed, though sometimes if feeling particularly wimpish I use two.

No trouble getting any tyre on.

I think the beard is a reserve kit in case the straps break - it can be knotted into a makeshift twine.

And if all else fails a hammock to await dawn and rescue.

Take a bow colin.

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose that the video may make some sense to people who had not been replacing tyres for 40 years before the video came out.

the stupid one

Über Member
I suppose that the video may make some sense to people who had not been replacing tyres for 40 years before the video came out.

The people it's aimed at, then. Excellent review.

froze

Über Member
Ordered, hope its as easy as you say

You'll like that lever, another lever is the VAR which I really like for tough tires, see: https://www.amazon.com/Var-Nylon-Ti...qid=1509588190&sr=8-1&keywords=var+tire+lever This lever actually will pull the bead up and over the rim on one side while the other side of the lever catches the rim and uses it as a pivot, works great with no way possible to pinch the tube. If you have trouble with the Crank Bros one try the VAR.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I ride on Continental Gatorskins and wouldn't consider myself especially physically strong. To refit my tyres I find this technique works equally well at home and on the road:

1. Begin by fitting the tyre on one side, then placing the wheel in the midriff with the unfitted side facing you and the valve at the 12 o'clock position
2. Push the valve in to the "top" of the tyre - this is the thickest area and so the more difficult to work with at the end - to seat it against the tyre
3. Work round the tyre pushing on with the thumbs, one either side of the wheel always keeping the thumbs at the top of the wheel in approximately the 11 and 1 o'clock positions. At the same time rotating the wheel so the valve moves down to the 6 o'clock position. Doing this keeps your thumbs at 11 and 1 o'clock.
4. The last 3-4 inches will arrive at the top and can be rolled over the rim with some extra effort. Roll the tyre on working towards 12 o'clock
5. Finally check both sides of the tyre to ensure the tube is not trapped and pull the valve down to seat it in the valve hole

One tip which helps this is to dust one's inner tubes with talc and then rewrap them in newspaper and cling film. Helps protect the tube and ensures you have plenty of talc available on the road which helps to push the tyre on by creating a slippery surface on the wheel rim and tyre edge. I find it makes me smell better as well......................

Last edited:

Cronorider

I never use levers and I always start at the valve, pushing it up into the rim so that the bead gets under it. Stand over the wheel, pushing directly down towards the floor as you work the bead around with your thumbs. Pick up the wheel and hold against your stomach to get the last part of the tire on.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I always finish at the valve, that way it doesnt get in the way of the beads which you are pushing into the well of the rim. It may just be the tyres I'm using, combined with the rims - mostly Mavic, but I rarely need to use levers to get tyres off, and almost never, ever, to get them on. If I do I use the red Bontrager ones.

Cronorider

I always finish at the valve, that way it doesnt get in the way of the beads which you are pushing into the well of the rim. It may just be the tyres I'm using, combined with the rims - mostly Mavic, but I rarely need to use levers to get tyres off, and almost never, ever, to get them on. If I do I use the red Bontrager ones.

I find the valve gets in my way if I leave it to the end when I'm trying to get that last bit of bead over the rim. From the posts here, it seems it doesn't really matter where the valve is - to each her/his own!

Top Bottom