Tyre comfort - Schwalbe Marathon vs Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I can confirm having changed tyre, that there is an effect from tire sidewall rigidity.

I'd go along with this. I use 25C Durano Plus on my road bike, which I love because they grip well and haven't had a puncture in over 4,000km use. However, they are heavy and rigid, which is noticeable on rougher surfaces.

I have 32C Marathon Supreme on my fixed and they are brilliant. Lighter than the Durano Plus despite the increased size, fast-rolling, grippy and hardly any worse for puncture protection (only one puncture in a similar lifetime distance so far).

I find them very comfortable over rough surfaces, which I did think was just down to the difference between a 25C and a 32C tyre, but I've tried a different 25C tyre on the road bike for comparison (Vittoria Zaffiro, which the bike came with when I bought it) and they give a noticeably smoother ride than the Durano Plus.

I would very strongly recommend Marathon Supremes, by the way. Much faster than standard Marathons.

d.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I didn't notice much difference going from M+ to M but it is noticeable if you move to M Supreme. But I would reckon that bike and bike setup will be a part of this.

Looking at the geometry specs the chainstays are 450mm which isn't short. It's a hybrid with sus forks a fairly slack head angle and steepish seat angle. The sizes go from Small to Jumbo in 5 stages with the biggest effective top tube being 605mm. That's pretty short for an allround flat bar bike, it's more what I'd expect to see on a roadie hybrid with low front end and racey pretensions. As you already mention the ride position puts your bars up high and quite close. As you've also untuited you are sitting heavily with less weight on your arms, or having to keep pushing your weight back with them. I'd have a go at checking your ride position first, start with saddle height and setback then work forward to the bars. It may be that you already have your saddle in the correct position but the bars aren't low/far enough.

I started out commuting on a light fast hybrid and using M+ tyres, it wasn't the greatest of rides, quite jarring and the bike didn't really do well with me plus luggage, broken spokes etc. But it was a great ride reconfigured for weekend use and fun riding. My replacement commuter, a Surly Crosscheck, ran the same M+ tyres, was far heavier as a bike but soaked things up no problem.

OP
OP
G

greyhound_dog_1

Regular
Thanks everyone for the input.
@lulubel, I went from 700x38c Marathon plus, to 700x35c Vittoria Randonneur (the standard one, not cross/trail).
Also seems you agree with the alu frame = crashy ride theory though others do not. According to Sheldon Brown's musings, it depends on the bike as frame material is less of an impact than frame geometry, but certainly 'oversize' tubes are stiffer and therefore harsher- clearly desirable for serious off-roading, but probably not so useful on our road-going steeds (a fashion thing, I suspect...).
@MacB
Yes it is short, by design, to be upright. I guess the CX-3 frame is very stiff with it's oversize tubing throughout, and coupled with that upright riding position, sends vibration and harshness straight up your spine. Sheldon also advocates the use of sprung/suspension seatposts for upright riding bikes, which I haven't done yet but may do, when I can afford a Cane Creek parallelogram type one...

I might try some of your tyre choices. I have heard good thinks about the Conti top contact as well.

Robwiz

Regular
I've used Marathon + 700 x 25s at 80 psi on my road bike. I wouldn't say they are especially uncomfortable. I tend to lift my weight off the saddle automatically though when I see a rough road surface ahead.

Top Bottom