Tyre comfort - Schwalbe Marathon vs Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ride an uprightish hybrid bike (Cannondale Quick CX-3). It came with 700x38c Conti Double Fighter II tyres, which I rode at 60-70 psi and found very comfortable, but I got a puncture once a week on my commute.

So I bought Marathon plus, and have had no punctures in 6 months/1000 miles. However, I find they ride so harsh, I cringe at the sight of even the slightest bit of damaged road surface as it is like having my teeth rattled and potholes can impact so hard that my chain is often dislodged as well as my gonads. I am running them also at 60-70 psi. Reducing the pressure does help, but at 50 psi (the minimum rated), they are still not exactly comfortable and there is a noticible increase in rolling resistance.

I am considering trying the standard Marathon's instead, in the hope these are more comfortable and still sufficiently puncture proof for my route. But searching posts has suggested that the M+ offers only a 'slightly harsher ride', for a lot of extra protection. If so then maybe the difference will be not so much, and I should get a sprung saddle or something instead...but bike was definitely fine on the original tyres.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Odd though it may sound, have you tried running them at the maximum rating? A harder tyre should ride over the road rather than dig into it. I find that the second sign of a soft tyre is a nasty ride. The first sign is extra resistance.

And if your chain is shipping the gears need to be fixed.

OP
OP
G

greyhound_dog_1

Regular
I have tried max rated of 80 psi, but then it is so bad that I get lower back pain every time I ride, which I didn't get using the stock Continental tyres at their max of 70 psi. Hence I dropped M+ to 60-70 psi. Also the chain is aligned perfectly, it is just that if I hit a pothole hard enough, the chain tensioner can't 'keep up' and the chain jumps down a cog, and then jumps back again. That's how hard the ride is. It was fine though on the original, compliant, not very puncture resistant tyres.

So was just curious if others find the standard Marathon (or indeed any other tyre recommendation) to be better than the M+, comfort wise, but still being puncture resistant. I have 45mm SKS mudguards so can't go wider than a 38c, so Big Apples are not possible (unless I replace the mudguards I guess...also rims are 17mm width). M+ sidewalls are quite rigid, which I guess gives then snakebite protection but equally a harsh ride...?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I can't comment on the M+ as I've never tried them, but for what it's worth I am running standard Marathons (700x35) on my main bike and have found them fine for comfort. They also roll and grip better than the standard (Duro branded) tyres they replaced.

I have done well over 2000 miles on them now with no issues (rushes off to touch wood :whistle:) and from the looks of the rear tyre I may get almost the same again before it is worn out. The front shows practically no wear yet.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have the standard marathon's 700 x 28 and they seem ok for comfort, but I have had quite a few punctures with them which makes me think that I should of maybe went for +'s instead.

betty swollocks

large member
Running any tyres at lower psi will assist with comfort, but the cons are greater rolling resistance and increased susceptibility to punctures.
I run Marathon plusses very hard on my Reynolds 853 bike and do not find it uncomfortable.
I don't think different tyres will help.
I think the harsh ride is more down to the frame materials and your own riding style.
On bumps and potholes, get off the saddle, stand on the pedals and let the bike pivot beneath you.
You might also consider getting carbon handlebars and/or seatpost, as these do soak up road vibration and therefore give a smoother ride.

Recycler

If your chain is routinely slipping then there is something wrong with either the chain or the gears. I doubt that tyres alone would cause that problem.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think srw is exactly right. Run the M+ at 100psi. The bike won't wallow quite so much and won't dive in to holes.

And recycler is right to. The chain is wrong - either worn or too long

OP
OP
G

greyhound_dog_1

Regular
Regarding increasing the pressure for comfort; paradoxically I have indeed found that this has helped. But only now we are in hot weather. I am running at high pressure (75 psi, max rated is 80 psi) and the tyre is now reasonably comfortable with less 'road buzz'. Whereas earlier in the year in the cold weather it was much harsher so I had to drop the pressure. Maybe there is a temperature factor with the tyre sidewall becoming less flexible in cold conditions? I still might try out one of these Marathon Supreme's which have thin sidewalls but some puncture protection, see if it is better for me. It's not like I've pulled any glass or thorns out of my M+ at all in the last year so maybe they are overkill (tempting fate perhaps...)

OP
OP
G

greyhound_dog_1

Regular
I can confirm having changed tyre, that there is an effect from tire sidewall rigidity. Changed to Vittoria tyre with softer sidewalls but kevlar lined tread area, and the ride has improved. It is only a little bit, mind. Certainly the ride is related to the squidgyness of the sidewalls - the tyre has reinforced sidewalls makes it ride harder. The difference in harshness goes from 'barely tolerable' to 'fairly tolerable' but not a massive improvement. Suspension seatpost then. Most of the issue comes from the bike being of oversized aluminium tubing, with oversized seat post, a short wheelbase and short chainstay length, and upright riding. (Cannondale Quick CX3).

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use M+ on my hybrid and love the puncture protection but as someone described them on here they're like a cart wheel.

They're okayish on bumpy trails and bad roads if under inflated, but pumped up hard they give me lower back pain too.

It's the upright position and aluminum frame I for me think. Its less bad if I pedal hard and keep my weight off the saddle. Mostly I learn just to lift out of the saddle for bumpy stuff and stick to decent roads.

lulubel

Über Member
I can confirm having changed tyre, that there is an effect from tire sidewall rigidity. Changed to Vittoria tyre with softer sidewalls but kevlar lined tread area, and the ride has improved. It is only a little bit, mind.

Which Vittorias are you using? I've used Rubino Pros practically since I bought my first road bike. I was using it for commuting, so wanted more protection than the stock tyres, and have used them ever since. I keep them pumped up hard to protect against pinch flats because some of the roads around here are pretty nasty, and you often can't see the bad bit until it's too late to slow down/avoid it.

Since I haven't used anything else, I haven't got a basis for comparison, but I could always feel if they'd lost a bit of pressure - down from 110 to 100psi - because the ride became noticeably softer.

Most of the issue comes from the bike being of oversized aluminium tubing, with oversized seat post, a short wheelbase and short chainstay length, and upright riding.

I think you're absolutely right in this. I've just replaced my alu road bike with a new bike built up around a steel cyclocross frame and forks, and the ride quality is sublime, even with the tyres at 110psi. I'll certainly never buy an alu frame again.

I ride an uprightish hybrid bike (Cannondale Quick CX-3). It came with 700x38c Conti Double Fighter II tyres, which I rode at 60-70 psi and found very comfortable, but I got a puncture once a week on my commute.

So I bought Marathon plus, and have had no punctures in 6 months/1000 miles. However, I find they ride so harsh, I cringe at the sight of even the slightest bit of damaged road surface as it is like having my teeth rattled and potholes can impact so hard that my chain is often dislodged as well as my gonads. I am running them also at 60-70 psi. Reducing the pressure does help, but at 50 psi (the minimum rated), they are still not exactly comfortable and there is a noticible increase in rolling resistance.

I am considering trying the standard Marathon's instead, in the hope these are more comfortable and still sufficiently puncture proof for my route. But searching posts has suggested that the M+ offers only a 'slightly harsher ride', for a lot of extra protection. If so then maybe the difference will be not so much, and I should get a sprung saddle or something instead...but bike was definitely fine on the original tyres.

all tyres are a compromise - the trade-off with increased puncture protection is usually ride quality. You could try something like Conti's gator hardshell...

Top Bottom