Tyre confusion

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by iAmiAdam, 9 May 2010.

1. Hey,

I've recently looked into using my dads old BSA Javelin as a road bike, it's in good nic, needs some new tyres though. The side wall is only just readable, but I think it says 26 x 1.5 Which seems reasonable. But after looking on Evans cycles, I can't seem to find a tyre.

So I googled the bike, and couldn't find any specs. So I've decided to ask the good people of cycle chat as I've really ran out of ideas.

I need a definite size of tyre for the Javelin because it's bugging me and I need to find a place that sells them rather cheaply as I'm only using this bike as I can't afford a new bike right now.

Cheers, Adam

2. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

does it say x 1.5 or x 1 1/2? because the two aren't interchangeable.

anyhow, have a very close look. see if there's a number such as 590, 584 or 559 on there. when you've found that (ertro) number, you'll find a good selection at sjsc

to clear it up further, you should read sheldonbrown

3. OP
    OP
    iAmiAdam

iAmiAdam New Member

1 1/2 Can I ask what the difference is?

I'll have a look for that number in a second.

Thanks for that help.

4. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

This might help answering your questions.

5. OP
    OP
    iAmiAdam

iAmiAdam New Member

Just looked, 32-597, Found some on evans cycles, bit more expensive, has anyone bought from sjsc before?

6. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

I have never had any problem with SJS. In fact they are one of the very few retailers in the country which stock quite a bit of vintage bike compatible parts, and as such I find them worthy of support.

7. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

SJSC charge delivery which can make small orders more expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice