Tyre cuts - super glue or vulcanising rubber solution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
buddha said:
The one thing I have used that did work was the black rubber vulcanising solution that's meant for car tyres (the cycle stuff falls out after a few weeks, as did superglue).
Didn't want to get the huge bottle, so the garage let me use a little for free:smile:
The slits are still good (unopened) after 6 months and counting.

Haven't come across this before. What's this stuff called - do they sell it in motor spares shops? Anyone?

buddha

Veteran
beanzontoast said:
Haven't come across this before. What's this stuff called - do they sell it in motor spares shops? Anyone?
It was a 2-part mix (i.e 2 tins that you mix). Similar to this IIRC (scroll down to last item). But a tad expensive!
Had my tyres fixed at the local garage - during a car MOT. You could try an auto spares shop though.

Keith Oates

Janner
If the cuts are small and have not opened up then I don't do anything with them. I do wash the outside of the tyres after most rides (on the roadies not the commute bike) and at the same time look at the cuts but if any start to open then I change the tyre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a tube of "Copydex" (liquid latex) and some dry graphite powder, the sort used for dry lubricating locks. Mix together, you will have to do some experimenting to get the proportions right, what you want is enough powder that the copydex doesn't solidify until you have got it in the cut. Push the mixture into the cut and smooth level with the tyre. Allow to harden.

Although I've not used it on tyre cuts, I've used Loctite Hybrid Glue (extra strong) to repair splits in silicone rubber mouldings. It adheres well, stays flexible and doesn't come out of the repair. Comes in a 50gm plastic bottle, and has a shelf life of maybe 5 years after opening, before it gets thicker and difficult to squeeze out the bottle.

I also have a 20-30 yr old tube of American "Quik Leak Chec (clear)", part no. 10500, Kent Industries, Cleveland made for the car industry - which has not dried out. Although it's a leak sealer and looks like a thick rubber glue, I remember using this to repair worn patches on my running shoes, and it wore as well as the soles. Just in case my memory is wrong, I've just applied some to rubber to see what happens. It will probably need all night to dry out and gain strength. If my memory is wrong, it's likely I used Shoe Goo instead.

I know this is an old blog but, as I was interested, I researched online and found that RTV (room temperature vulcanising) black silicone rubber is available for £5 + £2.80 p&p. As a filler, it should be better than a thin rubber solution. And, as its vulcanising, it will bond to rubber and not come out of the cut. It's made for the car trade.
https://www.agriemach.com/p1875-automotive-black-silicone-3oz

Last edited by a moderator:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I use superglue but have on occasion had a slow puncture caused by the glue hardening into a point. It's good for proper long cuts, not so great for tapered holes caused by pieces of glass etc as it just hardens into a point and can on occasion push its way though into the tube.

I've a few friends who swear by wetsuit repair glue. It's a contact adhesive like superglue but it doesn't harden. Haven't tried it yet myself but at about £5 a tube it's cheaper than binning a tyre and worth a try.
I have been using Stormsure for a few years now and thoroughly recommend it. If you search around, you can find a multi pack of 3 small tubes which are good value. I believe I read that larger tubes can be stored in the freezer after opening to prevent the glue in the tube drying out. If using this product on tyres, I would advise leaving the repaired tyre for at least 24 hours before re-using because it can take a long time to cure.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gawd, where did this story about glueing cuts with superglue come from? It's as naff as letting your tyres down to fly.

If the carcass isn't damaged, carry on riding but perhaps move the tyre to the rear wheel. If there's a small area of damage, patch the tyre from inside. If a big area of damage, throw it away.

Top Bottom