Tyre damage, repair, reboot or risk it.

I think you should......

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ok , have a chunk of rubber taken out of my rear Continental gatorskin 28mm. Right in the centre.

So, do I replace, use glue or carry on regardless?

DSC_0691.JPG

PK99

Legendary Member
Ok , have a chunk of rubber taken out of my rear Continental gatorskin 28mm. Right in the centre.

So, do I replace, use glue or carry on regardless?

View attachment 411471

At that size - replace.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd just fill it up with something so debris can't lodge in the hole. The state of the rubber on the outside of a tyre doesn't matter a monkey's, the strength comes from the inner ply structure and the wire bead.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
5 to 2 for replacement...

gbb

Legendary Member
If you can get your hands on a strip of emery tape, lay it in the tyre rough side out obviously. It's reinforced and stops the tube trying to work it's way out, I ran a tyre similar to OPs for a year like that. It may need replacing maybe every month or two.
Distance you'e likely to be from home may influence your choice...i had no problems riding with one repaired like that but I did wonder when 40 miles from home ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd ride it, some of my tyres are far worse than that.

I've still got a set of 700 x 35c Michelin World Tours that were factory-fitted to my Raleigh Gemini hybrid when it was new in 1988! Admittedly, I have now replaced them with Schwalbe DC+ for the superior puncture protection, but the point is they still hold air and my initial test rides were done on them without incident. Rather than being binned, they're going on a pair of shabby old steel rims to build up an early Pioneer with a dented top tube as a local pub hack upgrade. When done I'll have 1988 tyres on a 1991 frame, both of which most people would have chucked away!

Top Bottom