Tyre Gash - Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
As per the title - I got a puncture just before christmas, a sizeable shard of glass that cut right through the tyre and led to an instant deflation, repaired and thought no more of it.

Punctured Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week... grrr. Worryingly didn't find the culprit the first two times (I always like to find whatever caused the puncture so I'm more confident I won't repuncture 50m up the road). On the third puncture I thought something must be awry as I normally only get a couple of punctures in an entire year! So I kept the tyre at the correct rotation in order to see where the puncture came from on the tyre - it matched up with the slit left by the glass before christmas!

I stuck in a tube patch as I didn't have a fiver or a boot on me and got the tyre back up to pressure, it's only once inflated that I noticed how much the slit seperates under pressure, as when deflated it was tight.

Couple of photos hopefully attached - the blurry one is to show the scale against my finger - I'd estimate it's about 7mm long.

I'm thinking it's likely not repairable? I rode it in this morning but am off to pick up a new tyre at lunchtime. The tyre has only been on for 600 miles :-(

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_170518073.jpg
    IMG_20200108_170518073.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200108_170546622.jpg
    IMG_20200108_170546622.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Too far gone imo
I wouldn't bother to repair it myself.

For now, cut a small oval piece of plastic milk bottle and place it between the tube and tyre, on the spot in question. It will stop herniating and trapping of gravel and allow you plenty more miles. It will however make am unnerving schloppy sound when riding and the patch meets tarmac. I have on occasion left that fix in place for a very long time without issues. Tyre casings are made in such a way that a cut cannot propagate by itself, it needs something to keep on cutting. In other words, it won't burst when inflated of whilst you're riding. As long as the tube doesn't peep our, you're safe.

Globalti

Legendary Member
But keep an eye on the sidewalls, if they start to bulge obliquely opposite the damage to the threads going in one direction is so great that the tyre is tearing apart.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I've stuck a new tyre on (£34.95 :ohmy: ) as I've got limited time at the moment with a 16 week old...

When I get some time, I'm going to attempt a repair, I was thinking maybe a semi flexible sealant? or is there something I could use that would essentially fuse the tyre back together? Like a vulcanising compound?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What I would do, as someone who doesn't believe in spending on tyres unless they are completely worn out, would be to cut a short section out of a scrap road tyre, slice off the very edge bit with the wire bead in it, rub it down to smooth the edges, then insert it inside the cut tyre at the damage location. That way, the tube isn't going to pop out like a hernia, and the bit of inserted scrap tyre gives some thickness to maintain puncture protection.

Ajax Bay

Guru
And the once per rotation aberration the OP would feel will offer them something to think about on long rides. A bit of thin but robust plastic will do a better job (see above ^^^), though from the image, I'd abandon the tyre. Their new tyre will offer the OP rubber at one penny a mile, at most.

Reactions: C R

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's way too far gone for me, I'd see a boot or a repair on something like that purely as a stopgap to get me to the next bike shop, and only that far.

Edit: I see you replaced it, maybe "needs must" but that was an expensive tyre... You can get a tyre on Wiggle for less than a tenner if you're on a budget and not too fussy about make. Even Marathon Plus are about 25 pounds.

I've stuck a new tyre on (£34.95 :ohmy: ) as I've got limited time at the moment with a 16 week old...

When I get some time, I'm going to attempt a repair, I was thinking maybe a semi flexible sealant? or is there something I could use that would essentially fuse the tyre back together? Like a vulcanising compound?
Good move, and money well spent when it comes to cycling safely at this time of year
[ "thumbs up imogee" where have they gone? ]

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I paid the premium from a LBS because I'd punctured 3 days in a row, with one of the events making me miss seeing my son having a play with his cousins.

On reflection I don't think I'll repair the tyre, so if anyone is manchester based they can have it.

Top Bottom