Tyre Glider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Nice one! just ordered on eBay £9.99 inc postage.
I've got one of those long claw type levers which are good for putting the tyre on (only) but they're a bit of an awkward size to carry.

Twilkes

Guru
I watched the video - the way it takes a tyre off is pretty much how i do it with a tyre lever currently, but does anyone know how it avoids pinching a tube when sliding the tyre back on again? Do you have to be pretty careful about where the tube is located before you start?

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Mine has just arrived. Nicely compact and works extremely easily (on gatorskins)
How have managed without this!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tried it with my turbo tyre and it couldnt get under the bead , i had to use the old 2 lever approach to get the bead over the rim , slotting the glider in afterwards seemed to work from there,
Tried the reverse and the width of the slot doesnt seem wide enough for the rim either :sad:

silva

Über Member
Since my last struggle with a Marathon Plus I started using one grip side of a wire cutter.
Bare steel, but with smooth rounded surfaces so no damage to tyre / rim.
Those Schwalbe tyres need plain force, and such a cutter is strong and provides leverage.
I've seen a dealer removing such tyre with a kinda long (60 cm?) shoe puller. He pushed it inbetween bead and rim, and lifted the tyre edge over in one time over enough of the circumference to do the rest with bare hands.
With the wire cutter, I have to slide sideways 15 cm first.

tried it with my turbo tyre and it couldnt get under the bead , i had to use the old 2 lever approach to get the bead over the rim , slotting the glider in afterwards seemed to work from there,
Tried the reverse and the width of the slot doesnt seem wide enough for the rim either :sad:

Yeah, same problem I had when trying to seat the tyre.

Twilkes

Guru
Nope. It's pretty foolproof. Follow the video and it's easy peasy.
Now about those Michelins....
Ha, even once I got them on they wouldn't seat reliably, maybe just too small a tyre for that size and profile of rim. Unless you mean you want to buy them...? ;)

theloafer

Legendary Member
mine,s in nice blue.... matches the bike
1649352668471.png

simongt

Guru
With the Tyre Glider and the apparent issues of getting it to slide along some rim / tyre combinations, how about carrying a wee bottle of washing up liquid so it can be applied as needed to lube the appropriate stubborn surfaces - ? :okay:

Top Bottom