Tyre hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dishy

Went to go out on bike and noticed a puncture! Located it patched up tyre goes down! So thought it was the patches so tried with a glue type instead of self adhesive pumped up, gone down again! Any recomendationa for bettet patches? Glue type were halfords!

Really gutted as my first puncture and cant solve it!

did you check the tyre and remove the offending object

Tynan

Veteran
I always carry spare tubes. Repairs should be carried out at home where possible
yep, I used to patch roadside when young and keen with better eyes

a bowl/sink full of water and a track pump make patching almost fun

carry two spare tubes and patch as necessary when you get home

and consider quality tyres as required

User269

Haven't bothered repairing a tube for at least 30 yrs; patches lift or fail...........but worst of all...........add weight to your bike!

It may sound environmentally unfriendly, but the tubes either get slung on a roadside verge where they provide a tasty meal for foxes etc., or, I bring them home and feed 'em to the dog. OK, calm down, of course I mash 'em up before mixing with the usual feed (see wiggle.co.uk for the inner tube recycling animal food grater).

Otherwise, +1 wot @roadrash and @Threevok said. And we also look forward to your score from @Yellow Saddle questionnaire.

rrarider

Veteran
I find that Rema Tip Top are the best patches. A close second are the ones that come in a £1 repair kit from Wilko. The whole kit is good quality and I normally put a couple of Rema patches in the kit and carry it on my bike. I'd only fix a puncture at the roadside if it was the second one of the ride, as I always carry a spare tube.

boydj

Legendary Member
@roadrash makes a good point. There's no point putting a tube back into a tyre that's punctured unless you have found the cause of the puncture. Unless it's a 'snakebite' caused by hitting a bump with a poorly inflated tyre, you will almost always find something sharp stuck in the tyre - usually by gashing your finger when searching round the inside of the tyre.

screenman

Legendary Member
Run a piece of mutton cloth around the inside of the tyre, there is a piece of it in all my kits, great for wiping hands afterwards.

I find that Rema Tip Top are the best patches. A close second are the ones that come in a £1 repair kit from Wilko. The whole kit is good quality and I normally put a couple of Rema patches in the kit and carry it on my bike. I'd only fix a puncture at the roadside if it was the second one of the ride, as I always carry a spare tube.
That's just because you have not had the privilege of using Maruni 20mm patches. They're like caviar compared to your Rema sardines.

bonker

Guru
I think there is a type of inner that won't patch. I am the king of patching but occasionally find one where the patch just won't take. Defo ones with slime in. Perhaps it's the formulation of the tube materials but I'm not a materials scientist.

I shouldn't encourage lazy sods/ Sunday cyclists to leave their old tubes on the verge but I don't really mind. I'll take them home and patch them. If I see someone in trouble, they are the ones to be handed over first. The circle is complete.

OP
OP
Dishy

Dishy

Removed tube placed patch over hole put back in tyre,went back down! Found another puncture same again! Checked inside of tyre for any sharps found nothing! Repaired next hole put back on bike and yet again tyre gone down! Hate life right now

OP
OP
Dishy

Dishy

Not using levers to put it back on, the first and 2nd holes were different places then the 3rd was next to the 2nd! This makes me think something in the tyre! Apart from feeling with finger any otherway of tracking? As cant feel anything

Top Bottom