Tyre Inflation Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
Mini pumps you have to be careful buying because MOST cannot reach even 70 psi which most people run around 100, so what good is a pump if it can't get to 100 or so? there are only a few pumps that can reach 100, the first one is the Lezyne Road Drive large, Lezyne makes 3 sizes in that model, the smaller sizes will not make it to 100 psi, the large one does. If you want a really lightweight pump the Lezyne Carbon Drive will reach 100, that pump I have not used but people I spoke to that had that pump all said it does. Others that will reach 100 psi are the Topeak RaceRocket HP, supposedly the SKS Spaero SPort ALU according to what I've read will reach over 100 psi as well but I question it's durability since they seem to be spotty (I had a SKS Puro that was a piece of crap but the SKS Raceday Carbon was great, so not sure about this one). The last one which I haven't used but heard it works really well is the high end but heavy Silca Tattico; but I think with all the lower price options out there I can't really see the need to spend for Silca. There may be a couple of other pumps I missed that can reach those higher limits but the vast majority of pumps on the market cannot despite their claims of saying they can reach 110 or 160, they won't.

The Topeak Road Morph pump is a great pump but it's not a true mini pump, in fact I call it a half frame pump, it's heavy and ungainly looking plus the method they use to strap the pump to the frame is not adequate, mine moved around a lot so much so I got tired of it and moved to my wife's bike, she never rides more than a block anyways, but it does work great as far as putting air in a tire.

And CO2's I can't get into those, if I was racing and needed instant fast air to resume riding quickly as possible that's one thing, but since I don't race I have no need for that. Besides CO2 requires that you buy carts, discard used carts properly instead of the side of the road which is where I find empty carts, limited in how much air you can carry, and CO2 air bleeds out of the inner tube much faster than regular air which means when you get home you have to drain the air and refill with normal air...to me that's a waste of time! If you're deadset on CO2 at least look into hybrid CO2/pumps like the LEzyne Pressure Drive CFH then everything is in one neat package and you have a pump in case you run out of CO2 carts. I prefer free air.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mini pumps you have to be careful buying because MOST cannot reach even 70 psi which most people run around 100, so what good is a pump if it can't get to 100 or so? there are only a few pumps that can reach 100,
There are loads of pumps that can reach 100. Many are sold as reaching 120 or 160, though, because if you're a gorilla, they can probably get close to that.

5C160CB0-3FE2-4AC8-A678-3ED69F1A15A1.jpeg

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-floor-drive-hv-abs-pump-with-gauge/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360458183&kpid=5360458183&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|shatU8OwT_dm|mcrid|67090793462|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360458183uk|mslid||&mkwid=shatU8OwT_dm&pcrid=67090793462&prd=5360458183uk&pgrid=17507340062&ptaid=aud-131695477502:tongue:la-121263965342

This has got me out of trouble on many occasions, when I’ve picked up a puncture, on one of my bikes with pneumatic tyres.

It will easily get to 100psi, and fits on the bike easily.

F4EBA132-BA0F-4DA0-85F7-CD569A5F1FB1.jpeg

I’ve got it fitted to my Ultra 720 at present

F64F6899-1AD4-41B0-97D2-40C13802C246.jpeg

However, this is the answer ultimately ( 28mm Tannus tyres on my 520)

Last edited:
Top Bottom