Tyre-ing Work..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had two new front tyres, fitted to my Octavia this morning

I guess tyre fitment isn't such an unusual occurrance
But....
Having looked back in the service 'print-outs', it had the previous pair fitted in February 2016

The mileage for those, till todays replacement was...
39,279miles!!!
I could possibly have got another 4,000 - 5,000miles out of them, if I'd taken them to the absolute legal limit, but that's not worth the risk when the rains return

With the tread-depth (of the old ones), the traction control was 'chattering' when hitting deeper puddles, so they weren't clearing the water quickly enough

The thought of heavy braking on the motorway was a thought that was in my mind, & made it up for me, to replace them

I don't think the mileage is bad, particularly for a heavy(ish) front-wheel drive, diesel

Same make/model tyres as before
(Evergreen EH23)

£98.00, for the pair, including VAT/balancing/etc....!:okay:
(Halfords, Ings Road, Wakefield)

KN11 RPZ. Tyre. 2.JPG

What did surprise me slightly, but more so, pleased me greatly, was that a girl fitted/balanced the new pair!:okay:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
A girl balanced your pair? No wonder you were happy!

That's not a bad mileage at all for modern tyre compounds.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes modern turbo-diesels really chew tyres, 40k miles is about right.

At my local tyre place I've learned to go before lunch, the fitter has a liquid lunch and is a bit unsteady in the afternoons so I usually have to go back for re-balancing the next day if it was an afternoon job.

There used to be a girl named Blaize who worked there, she was refreshingly good fun compared to the old man.

At my local tyre place I've learned to go before lunch, the fitter has a liquid lunch and is a bit unsteady in the afternoons so I usually have to go back for re-balancing the next day if it was an afternoon job.

There used to be a girl named Blaize who worked there, she was refreshingly good fun compared to the old man.

It sounds like you got on like a house on fire.

A girl balanced your pair? No wonder you were happy!
That's not a bad mileage at all for modern tyre compounds.

The girl done good!!

A few years ago, SWMBO had a Mondeo TDCi, when she worked for a consultancy business, that had its first front set at about 9,000miles:wacko:
(a mark 3, the 2000 - 2007 model)
I still remember that, because I was so damned surprised, especially as most of it was motorway work, to South Wales

I`ve seen women driving class 1 HGVs which I admire. I`ve never seen a female working at the tyre fitting bay. Did she have nice nails?
She was wearing gloves, of some description, orange ones

Nothing wrong with women driving trucks at all
We still get blokes having a dig at the Nurses, if they're pushing a wheelchair, or trolley
It is generally pointed out that it was two girls who treated you & drove the Ambulance that brought their sorry ass to Hospital

I
I'm happy with that , given my response to @Drago with regard to the Mondeo

simonali

Guru
I only have a 1.4 hatchback and that is about to have its third set of summer tyres at less than 40K. I run winter tyres in the colder months, too, so the others aren't even used all year round. I always fit performance tyres to my cars, whether or not they go fast because I like the grip that comes with the softer compounds.

I once had a Clio 197 that had 4 sets of front tyres during my ownership of about 27K. Now that was a tyre chewer!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you Italian?

Top Bottom