Tyre lever alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Came across this this morning - the tyreglider - looks to be an interesting alternative to a set of tyre levers. I'm more interested in how it re-fits the tyre to a rim rather than removal as you can already use this method with a regular set of levers, but this seems to act more like a zipper when fitting a tyre. Definitely something that might be useful for Marathon+ users, or those with tightly fitted tubeless tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's been highlighted in the 'found a bargain' thread I think. Please don't make us watch that overly long video again :wacko::laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I tend to do that removal method with a standard tyre lever... so yet again, someone has reinvented the wheel and presents us with, another wheel :whistle:

and as for the installation... that can mostly be done with your hands :rolleyes:

grldtnr

I tend to do that removal method with a standard tyre lever... so yet again, someone has reinvented the wheel and presents us with, another wheel :whistle:

and as for the installation... that can mostly be done with your hands :rolleyes:

Thing is these modern quality thres are difficult to remove and fit, even more so in winter when crud is all around wet & miserable.
I dislike using levers to remount a tyre, but sometimes you just have to.
Gone are the days when would just ' Gorrilla' Swhable or continental tyres on and off, literao was able to pull them of the rims, it was a knack.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Getting tyres off is not my problem and getting large wheel tyres back on can be done using hands only [mostly].
Small wheels such as my Brompton are a different matter. Getting a Marathon Greenguard on again took half an hour of sweating and swearing with ordinary tyre levers. I use steel based ones as well as have broken too many plastic ones in the past.

grldtnr

Yup , done that been there, got the scars.
Even bent metal ones, good job they come in a set of 3, have seen levers ping of into the field or shoot off down the street cos it's so difficult to get the lever under.
I do have reservations about the gliding on of tyre, prime target of pinching the tube.

https://tyreglider.co.uk/how-to-use/
  • For really tight fitting tyres, use your thumb to help install the last bit of bead onto the tyre.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i use one of these - saves ripping your thumbs to bits on tight tyres

1642071512632.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
Having watched the lady on the Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to her Brompton without using any tools, I tried it myself. First attempt I struggled but got there, had another go and it was easier. It’s one of those things that you develop a knack for.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Having watched the lady on the Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to her Brompton without using any tools, I tried it myself. First attempt I struggled but got there, had another go and it was easier. It’s one of those things that you develop a knack for.
I hope not to do enough of them to develop the knack.

Top Bottom