Tyre lever alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine arrived in the post the other day and I tried it out.

It doesn’t work on all rims, my clincher non disc wheels were too thick to be able to hook on at the bead and seat the tyre but my disc brake wheels were fine so I’d say rim design doesn’t seem to have been fully considered but this is the first version.

Seating the tyre is actually really easy, much easier than a traditional tyre lever.

However removing the tyres is a bit of a problem, the design seems to be more suited to a left handed person,
Just couldn’t get a comfortable grip so I found myself pulling rather than pushing the lever to get the tyre over the rim in a way that suited my hand. If the bead is rather tight you might struggle to get the lever under the tyre too.

Overall I’d give it a 6/10 and a useful tool for getting the tyre on without nipping the tube.

simongt

Guru
Interesting the variety of alternatives there are to the traditional tyre lever now. Must be to do with how many different types of rim and tyre combinations available - ! ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Mine arrived yesterday. Tried it out on a 700c 35mm Marathon which I usually manage to wrangle using conventional levers without too much trouble. After a moment or two working out how the Tyre Glider best fit with the rim/tyre, it was then seconds to popping the bead completely off. Reseating the tyre, as @bikingdad90 noted, was much easier than normal.
Next i turned to my nemesis: Schwalbe Big Apples on 20" Dahon rims. Fortunately, I've never had a puncture 'in the field' and only had to replace them when worn ... at cost of much energy, time, several chunks of epidermis, and an embarassing amount of profanity. With the Glider, i had a tyre off then back on in no more than a couple of minutes ... with all digits and knuckles still in pristine condition. (To be fair, i did smear a little soapy water on the rims to ease things along - the way the Glider works would seem to benefit from that)

Despite years of practice and knowing effective measures to take when changing tyres, advancing years mean my grip is no longer as strong as it was in my twenties. Also, one hand suffers particularly from injury- and/or age-related aches and pains. This is where i think the Tyre Glider will be helpful for me, especially with unyielding tyre/rim combos.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I ordered on Sunday and received mine today, couldn't ask for much better service at £2.99 for p&p.

My first reaction is the tool is smaller than I expected and the plastic is slippery to grip, other tyres levers I own are much more grippy.

Packaging is very poor and wouldn't survive in a retail outlet, this would definitely be a barrier to getting it in to shops. I'm pleased to have seen the YouTube video on use as the instructions on the packaging are far from clear.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ordered on Sunday and received mine today, couldn't ask for much better service at £2.99 for p&p.

My first reaction is the tool is smaller than I expected and the plastic is slippery to grip, other tyres levers I own are much more grippy.

Packaging is very poor and wouldn't survive in a retail outlet, this would definitely be a barrier to getting it in to shops. I'm pleased to have seen the YouTube video on use as the instructions on the packaging are far from clear.
And... have you practised using it? If so - what do you think of it? I am thinking of suggesting that THIS FRIEND should buy one! :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
And... have you practised using it? If so - what do you think of it? I am thinking of suggesting that THIS FRIEND should buy one! :okay:
Not yet Colin but I'll report when I have done.

Top Bottom