Tyre lever alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
the lady on the Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to her Brompton without using any tools
Do you mean this one?

That's the way I've been putting tyres on for over 55 years, there isn't anything special about it unless the viewer doesn't know what the well between the bead seats is for. If she needs a radiator to warm it, I'd like to watch her mend a puncture at the side of the road in freezing mid-winter.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I hope not to do enough of them to develop the knack.
It became something of a lockdown pastime, removing and refitting the rear wheel to get used to the chain tensioner mechanism, practicing folding / unfolding ( about 10 seconds each ) removing/ refitting the tyre. Did I mention I was getting a bit bored at the time? 😁

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've got one of these, great for taking tyres off and easing them back on as well. Keeps your fingers out of the way.
View attachment 626224
https://www.merlincycles.com/crank-brothers-speedier-tyre-lever-100721.html
Yes, I have as well and find it does a very good job. The Tyre Glider, which I'm going to consider, seems to mirror how the Crank Brothers lever works.

I've also got a Crank Brothers telescopic lever which is brilliant but doesn't work with through axles which I now have on all my bikes.

freiston

Veteran
Like the video linked by @presta shows, the bead does not stretch and has a smaller diameter than the outer edge of the rim but a larger diameter than the well of the rim. If the bead is too tight to go over the rim without being fully into the well (where it is already "in the rim"), then no tool or lever is going to get the last bit of bead over the rim unless it pulls the rest of the bead firmly into the well but once you know that, you don't need a special tool/lever.

Having said that, difference in tolerances make some rim/tyre combinations more difficult than others and sometimes grip or purchase on the tyre etc. can be lacking, and hands and skin can be delicate (I suffer from eczema and often have skin thinned by steroids and lubricated with moisturising cream) and a tool or lever can make a difference.

How times have changed. I remember using 2 teaspoons as a kid and never saw an issue until I grew up and got a 'proper' bike :laugh:
Presumably you mastered the ability to get them back to the right shape and back in the drawer before your Mum noticed???

That was the advise my Dad gave me when teaching me how to fix a puncture
Naturally Mum was out at the time

simongt

Guru
Saw the above device on YouTube last night. Apparently designed by a cyclist for cyclists, it's suppose to be 'the best thing since sliced bread' way of getting tyres off and on, even Marathons etc..
Anyone seen it / tried it and able to comment - ? :whistle:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As Drago says, I think this applies to an endless array of gimmicks that really don't need inventing.

Top Bottom