Tyre pressure advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

You can use all the calculations you like but in the final analysis I use my arse.
Is it comfortable or have I got too much pressure in those tyres :okay:

Thats right, I'm about 70kg and run on 700c x 25, I'm running 70psi back and 65psi front, I find much higher and I'm getting my fillings rattled

Out yesterday and found a main road with huge potholes on. If you hit one you'd definitely crash. And I'm on 32mms.
Fat bikes must be the future.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Out yesterday and found a main road with huge potholes on. If you hit one you'd definitely crash. And I'm on 32mms.
Fat bikes must be the future.

I'm on a gravel bike riding on Schwalbe G-One All Round 700x35c pretty much bomb proof on any road surface. I would not jeopardise my comfort and safety for the minimal increase in speed I might get with a 700x23/25c tyre !

I have 700x28c on my road bike (max accepted) The increased comfort when riding the gravelbike (700x35c) is immediately welcome. ^_^
I *might* get 32s on the mixte with the current Shimano rs550 wheels, but they spec 28 max. Currently have rigid Luganos on, so folding 32s wouldn't add much weight, not that it matters that much anyhow! When these have had it, I just might try it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on a gravel bike riding on Schwalbe G-One All Round 700x35c pretty much bomb proof on any road surface. I would not jeopardise my comfort and safety for the minimal increase in speed I might get with a 700x23/25c tyre !

700c x 25 is about as wide as my bike takes.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
@sebinho if you've not got one already - a track pump can help with accuracy and ease. I've got a bike that can only take 23c front (can just squeeze a 25c in the back) I'd go with others 5-10 less in the front, some tyres focus more on comfort than speed & others puncture resistance. Good shorts / saddle , bar tape and shoes can also make a difference

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

@sebinho if you've not got one already - a track pump can help with accuracy and ease. I've got a bike that can only take 23c front (can just squeeze a 25c in the back) I'd go with others 5-10 less in the front, some tyres focus more on comfort than speed & others puncture resistance. Good shorts / saddle , bar tape and shoes can also make a difference

Thanks, yes, I have this type of pump. My frame apparently can accept 28mm tyres, which would be nice. The forks however I'm not sure about as they aren't the originals. I believe they are ITM Pyro forks - have written to ITM to ask about maximum spacer height (below the stem) and will ask about max. tyre width too). I hadn't thought about mixing tyre widths. Perhaps 25 on the front, if limited to that, and 28 on the back might give better comfort. I'm not really the lycra type (nothing against!) but I am considering the shorts!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Looks like your front can go 25c (I tried squeezing a 25c on my front - it would fit just, but any road sludge / 'dust' clogged up to quickly...). My new bike can go to 30c but came with 25c and now the tyres are wearing and before moving to winter I'm.going to go to 30c (you can get normal looking ;) shorts with padding inserts as well)

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/itm-pyro-3k-carbon-forks/

byegad

Legendary Member
Being 'Gravitationally Challenged'* I found trying the maximum allowed in the back and about 90-95% of that at the front worked for me.

*Even more so following my illness, Lady Byegad's illness and Covid isolation!

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I’m on 26’s and find 90ish on the front and 95-100 psi on the back is most comfy and touch wood …..
Forgot to mention I’m around 75kg …

Top Bottom