Tyre Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

Hi all, what tyre pressures would you recommend for a big fat b*****d?
I can't see 120 doing to good with my weight on them. I'm big lad, 5 11 n a bit. But chunky. I'm thinking about 90, but I'll ask the world as tyre pressure has always got me.

Mick

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The tyre walls will have a minimum / maximum pressure shown. Somewhere in-between where you feel comfortable will be a start.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
You actually need more air in the tubes if heavy to avoid pinch punctures,. even if it seems counter intuitive

Depending on how heavy you are and the bike, you might want to budget for some handbuilt wheels with 36 spokes on the rear and at least 32 on the front :smile:

Also, check the manufacturer advice on max rider weight

If under 17 stone, you won't need to worry

5'11 isn't very big for a bloke. I'm a 5'10 female, so don't see your height as tall, a man needs to be at least 6'4 for me to think tall! Height has nothing to do with required tyre pressures, weight does

Last edited:
And it will almost certainly be in BAR or hPa. Why are we so stuck in the past with tyre pressures? Almost everything else has been metric for years. I have to have my entire car computer set to metric in order to get the tyre pressure monitoring in recognizable non-stone age units.

Tim Hall

Hi all, what tyre pressures would you recommend for a big fat b*****d?
I can't see 120 doing to good with my weight on them. I'm big lad, 5 11 n a bit. But chunky. I'm thinking about 90, but I'll ask the world as tyre pressure has always got me.

Mick
90kg, 5 11 anna bit and you say you're a fat abstrad? More beer and pies needed, old son, to qualify as "well nourished". FWIW I'm a tadge taller, 6 foot and a teeny bit, and the works scales say 90kg. I run my 28mm tyres at 100 - 110 (7-8 bar) with no bother from pinch punctures nor discomfort from them being too hard.

outlash

also available in orange
The tyre walls will have a minimum / maximum pressure shown. Somewhere in-between where you feel comfortable will be a start.

This. I had a pair of Vredsteins that had a minimum of 115 psi which is higher that the maximum stated on most of my other tyres. Find something that works for you with the tyres you have.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do mine up to where I have the thingy set on my track pump. Its so long ago I forget what I set it to.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
And it will almost certainly be in BAR or hPa. Why are we so stuck in the past with tyre pressures? Almost everything else has been metric for years. I have to have my entire car computer set to metric in order to get the tyre pressure monitoring in recognizable non-stone age units.

Not sure that is the best example. Miles and Gallons are still the unit of measurements according to the road traffic act.

Top Bottom