Tyre Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felix79

I wouldn't lower pressure too much, due to the likelihood of pinch flats, bit 700x28s do provide a cushiony ride.

Please excuse my naive questions, I only got back on a bike again after 15 years yesterday. "Normally" a tyre on a road bike has a max pressure of 120'PSI (I think I have a 23mm on my bike, which the previous owner had pumped up to 120'PSI), so if the larger 25mm or 28mm tyre has the same value of max PSI, is it ok for me to drop it by around 15'-20'PSI (around 100'-105'PSI)?

Also is if I am reducing the PSI, do I need to have the same pressures front and rear, or are you meant to have more pressure in the rear tyre due to the extra weight?

Thanks in advance for replying to my noobie questions.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Don't worry about the moon questions, we were all new once!
Tyres usually have a recommended and maximum pressure printed on them. Use that as a starting point, but don't worry too much.

Felix79

Don't worry about the moon questions, we were all new once!
Tyres usually have a recommended and maximum pressure printed on them. Use that as a starting point, but don't worry too much.

Thank you for your friendly answer!

I will make sure to get a premium quality tyre, as it should hopefully be ok with a slightly reduced PSI.

Kajjal

Guru
Larger tyres are run at lower pressures. My 23mm tyres were at 105 psi, 30mm at 85 psi and my 29" mountain bike tyres at 40psi. I weight about 100kg. You will see the difference on the tyre walls.

Felix79

Larger tyres are run at lower pressures. My 23mm tyres were at 105 psi, 30mm at 85 psi and my 29" mountain bike tyres at 40psi. I weight about 100kg. You will see the difference on the tyre walls.

With my weight being so high, would it be safer to go to a larger type and endure the rougher ride quality until the weight starts to come off and when I get 10-15KG lighter, slowly reduce the pressure until the tyre is a bit more compliant?

Kajjal

Guru
That would make sense. Bigger tyres would hold your weight better and less pinch flats. Bigger tyres have more grip and it does slow you down a little, but not that much. Check what the max size is for your bike, it is normally down to what physically fits in the gap but sometimes rim width comes into it. I use specialized roubaix pro tyres 30/32 at the moment as i also take the bike off road as well. Over the winter purely on road used the same tyres but 25/28 size. They are hard wearing with no punctures so far, also used 4 seasons which worked fine on the road.

Mrs M

Guru
I'm 5'2" not telling what I weigh :blush:
I just use a track pump, feel the tyres, then when they feel "board hard" stop pumping and away :bicycle:
Not had a p****ure for over 30 years :ohmy:

Mrs M

Guru
Didn't think that word was allowed :ohmy:

Felix79

That would make sense. Bigger tyres would hold your weight better and less pinch flats. Bigger tyres have more grip and it does slow you down a little, but not that much. Check what the max size is for your bike, it is normally down to what physically fits in the gap but sometimes rim width comes into it. I use specialized roubaix pro tyres 30/32 at the moment as i also take the bike off road as well. Over the winter purely on road used the same tyres but 25/28 size. They are hard wearing with no punctures so far, also used 4 seasons which worked fine on the road.

Way back when I was a teenager in the 90's, I use to have Conti's on my MTB and they were head and shoulders above any other tyre that was sold around Oxford.

I have a 2013 Cannondale CAAD8 '56CM (though it seems more like a 58/60CM frame) , so I would guess that a 28mm tyre profile is the biggest I could go. I was checking the website for my LBS and they do a wide range of tyre options, but only sell Specialized , Continental and Mavic. With my high weight, would getting one that is listed as puncture resistant be of any use, or is the real risk is going to be pinch punctures?

Kajjal

Guru
Yes, i would look for stronger, harder wearing tyres and as you get fitter and your weight drops you can then look at faster rolling tyres. Pinch punctures come from under inflating tyres and crashing through pot holes normally. With a decent sized tyre inflated to its recommended maximum pressure you will be fine. At 100kg i rode 23mm 4 seasons tyres at 105 psi for over a year with no problems.

Felix79

Yes, i would look for stronger, harder wearing tyres and as you get fitter and your weight drops you can then look at faster rolling tyres. Pinch punctures come from under inflating tyres and crashing through pot holes normally. With a decent sized tyre inflated to its recommended maximum pressure you will be fine. At 100kg i rode 23mm 4 seasons tyres at 105 psi for over a year with no problems.

Ok that's good to know. Thank you for answering back so quickly each time.

Top Bottom