Tyre pressure...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI All,

I ride a Tern Joe with Schwalbe Big Bentyres. Now the tyres say that they are 35 to 70Psi.
The question is, where in that range is the "right" point to inflate them to?

Is it just down to personal preference?

I tend to inflate to 60Psi as I'm a bit afraid of going near 70....!

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Basically personal preference (within some limits, harder is faster on smooth ground but less comfortable), but a starting point can be worked out from the manufacturer markings, tyre width and bike+rider+luggage weight by https://www.compasscycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BQTireDrop.pdf or http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

Put them in that 35-60psi range and see what works best for you. Too low and they'll be sluggish and prone to pinch p'tures. Too high and theyll be too harsh though. Lower pressure tend to be more comfy and grippy; you need to find the bespoke pressure for you.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thanks folks. Those calculators tend not to work too well as the Big Bens are 40mm balloon tyres (apparently!).
60psi does feel about right. When they drop down to 40 you can really feel the increased friction.

Should I be worried about trying 70psi or is the upper limit well within the tolerance of the tyre?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks folks. Those calculators tend not to work too well as the Big Bens are 40mm balloon tyres (apparently!).
60psi does feel about right. When they drop down to 40 you can really feel the increased friction.

Should I be worried about trying 70psi or is the upper limit well within the tolerance of the tyre?

It's well within the tolerance, they are only a guide, they can take much more.

If I’m on mostly loose stuff, I’ll aim for the lower pressure end, if it’s light trails / tarmac, I’ll aim for the higher end of the pressure range. I regularly run my off roaders at 60 psi, and at 35 psi. I don’t see any point in going right up to the higher limits, 60 psi is fine for just about anything on road.

byegad

Legendary Member
You'd be fine at 70psi. I'm not familiar with Big Bens but use Big Apples with similar upper a d lower limits. They're fine at 70psi and slower the lower you go.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All down to the surface(s) you're running on.
I have 40c Schwalbe Tyraccos and are perfect on tarmac at 65/70psi but tend to dig in on the loose surface tracks down here.

Top Bottom