Tyre pressures - floor pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ball

Hi all,

I recently bought a Joeblow floor pump with a pressure gauge. My tyres say they shouldn't be inflated to more than 120 psi but when I pump them up, I can only get to about 40psi on the gauge before it starts to feel like they are on the limit!!

Do the tubes have a completely different threshold to the tyres? Or is my pressure gauge wrong? Or should I just keep on pumping? It really feels like 40 is the limit.

Thanks,
Tom

Moodyman

Legendary Member
How do you know 40 is the limit - is it really hard when you touch? or is the pump not putting anymore in?

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I'd have thought that the tubes would likely have a higher pressure than the tyres as generally the same tubes are used in different bikes with different tyres and each tyre has its own max psi.

I've got a JoeBlow Sport and below 40 is easy to pump, above that it takes a bit more effort. Just keep on pumping and you should be fine.

If not, a new inner tube isn't that expensive and some valium for your nerves after the 'pop' should solve things. :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got a JoeBlow for Christmas and it works great, but I do find that once I get up past around 70/80 I have to really give it some welly, and over the ton I literally have to put my entire body weight on the handle to get it to go down (when I say 'literally' I mean literally - feet off the ground and bouncing!)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You're obviously not putting enough effort in Tom. Get those arms working boyo.

Up down, Up down and breathe......Up down, up down and breathe..... and repeat after me.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

Lol thanks for the thoughts, but honestly, banter aside, this isn't a case of me being a total puss, it really is just at it's limit. Gotta go with Gavin and reckon it's a faulty gauge :wacko: That said, I can always just read 40 psi as 120 psi.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

Vello I just tried that. Next time managed to get it up to 60, but now the tube seems punctured, won't take any air anymore and its a slime tube so it's bleeding green all over my carpet :wacko:

PpPete

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']I got a JoeBlow for Christmas and it works great, but I do find that once I get up past around 70/80 I have to really give it some welly, and over the ton I literally have to put my entire body weight on the handle to get it to go down (when I say 'literally' I mean literally - feet off the ground and bouncing!)[/QUOTE]

I got a JoeBlow (160 psi max rated) for Christmas too.... MUCH easier to get to 115 psi / 8 bar, than with it's predecessor - a Tesco floor pump, now that you really did have to lean on big time to get over a 100 psi.

Top Bottom