Tyre Pump question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
it was a bugger to put back in with the derailer in the way.
There are a few tricks to make it easier on a typical bike: first of all, put the bike in top (smallest) gear at the back; secondly, once the wheel's between the stays, position the axle so it is inside the bottom of the chain run and hook the smallest gear into the bottom run of the chain; then pull the wheel up towards the dropouts (where the axle normally sits and is tightened against). If it doesn't pass the derailleur gently (which happens mostly on some bikes which are fitted with smaller tyres than their maximums), then don't force it, but push the front of the derailleur, which is attached to the upper jockey wheel (the cog that the chain runs around "inside" the loop, if you see what I mean) towards the back of the bike and the wheel may then move easily into the dropouts, or you may need to push the bottom of the cage by the lower jockey wheel down towards the ground too.

It's easier than that description sounds but I didn't find a good youtube video showing it clearly. Most of them used bikes without mudguards (which means you don't have to lift the bike so high) and all of them used derailleurs which don't need the cage to be pushed. This is better than many but I think you can usually hook the gear on the chain without grabbing the chain like he does:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShrO0yutUQ

(edited to fix punctuation and added a comment about which bikes don't need you to push the derailleur)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks for the video. There's a lot to this cycling malarky!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
So I guess there's not enough room in my saddle bag for a co2 pump what with the other stuff in it? So I perhaps I need a mini pump to attach to these two free bolts I have on the frame? 20180123_151951_1516720892808-1.jpg 20180123_151959_1516720893385.jpg

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thats neat! So I need a hand held mini pump (not bothered so much about co2 the more I think about it) and attach it to my existing water bottle cage or to the front on those bolts?

Correct. But don’t dismiss co2. It’s super quick and can sometimes get you higher pressure than a mini pump can.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So how can I tell it will attach to the bolts on my bike or behind the water bottle? I have the same query with others I look at or is it a given it'll work? I can just see myself faffing around with cable ties for a wrong 'un
Bottle cage mounts are pretty standard as are bottle cages and the side pump mounts that accompany them and generally one hole is a slot to accommodate slight variations.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I think I need a new bottle cage mount then that can accommodate the pump as well. The one I have below is too simple?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 46

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think I need a new bottle cage mount then that can accommodate the pump as well. The one I have below is too simple?
The mount goes under the cage, it is possible you may need slightly longer bolts but the ones you have may be long enough. You only have about 3/8th"- 10mm of engagement before which the bolt is simply poking into the frame beyond the fixing (and not doing anything) though so often it will be long enough.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got a topeak pocket rocket and a specialized air tool on my bikes. Both are mounted on the bottle cage bolts.

Top Bottom