Tyre Pump question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
So I guess there's not enough room in my saddle bag for a co2 pump what with the other stuff in it?

They are tiny. This is the type I bought which was £7.99 from Decathlon
big_4f03385188e94c22afa7057cebe98caf.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his/her thread somewhat...but I've also got a pump question

I've used a Topeak Roadmorph for a few years. Great pump, really happy with it. Gets me 110psi no problem. I attach it to the top tube as it's a bit big for the jersey pocket.

I've just bought a new bike....with one of those fancy bendy top tubes so I can't really attach a topeak in the same way. I could, at a push attach it to a seatstay but that won't look great.

So if I'm going back to a jersey pocket pump, but I want performance at least similar to the roadmorph, can it be done? Does the pocket rocket's performance match the roadmorph? Or is there something else out there that will do the job?

si_c

Guru
@nickyboy take a look at the lezyne pumps, they'll get to 110 no problem, and they mount to the bottle cage. Plus they have a proper flexible hose attachment so they're easy to attach to the valve head.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have a Peak and it mounts to the bottle cage, it is so far very good and I like the adjustable handle. I dislike the wastefulness of co2 cartridges.

si_c

Guru
I have a Peak and it mounts to the bottle cage, it is so far very good and I like the adjustable handle. I dislike the wastefulness of co2 cartridges.
I like CO2 for a whole bunch of reasons, not least of which that I can quickly inflate the tyre should I need to in inclement wintery weather. I partly agree about the wastefulness aspect, so I always take the cannisters home and recycle them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his/her thread somewhat...but I've also got a pump question

I've used a Topeak Roadmorph for a few years. Great pump, really happy with it. Gets me 110psi no problem. I attach it to the top tube as it's a bit big for the jersey pocket.

I've just bought a new bike....with one of those fancy bendy top tubes so I can't really attach a topeak in the same way. I could, at a push attach it to a seatstay but that won't look great.

So if I'm going back to a jersey pocket pump, but I want performance at least similar to the roadmorph, can it be done? Does the pocket rocket's performance match the roadmorph? Or is there something else out there that will do the job?

I've got a couple of Topeak Pocket Rocket pumps and can vouch for their effectiveness.
That said, on the new Giant I've got one of these:

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/lezyne-carbon-drive-lite-pump-P5354049.html?colour=3624
It's spot on, the flexi tube is much easier to use and you don't risk bending valves at the roadside.
And it's carbon fibre! ^_^

(I wouldn't normally spend that much on a pump, but I got 10% of the new bikes value to spend on accessories in store as part of the deal, so why not?)

froze

Über Member
I can't recommend a CO2 system, they cost money to operate, plus you have waste, and the CO2 air leaks out a lot faster which means when you get home you have to drain the air out of the tube and refill...that's a waste of time to me. If I was racing then I would go with CO2 otherwise forget it. Besides why carry around unnecessary weight of the CO2 plus extra carts plus a backup pump? Really?? I guess if you are really hooked on the CO2 thing then why not just buy a hybrid pump? A hybrid pump is both a CO2 inflator and a pump, like the Birzman Infinite or the Lezyne Pressure Drive CFH, then at least your not taking up as much space.

Mini pumps you have to be careful buying because MOST cannot reach even 70 psi which most people run around 100, so what good is a pump if it can't get to 100 or so? there are only a few pumps that can reach 100, the first one is the Lezyne Road Drive large, Lezyne makes 3 sizes in that model, the smaller sizes will not make it to 100 psi, the large one does. If you want a really lightweight pump the Lezyne Carbon Drive will reach 100, that pump I have not used but people I spoke to that had that pump all said it does. Others that will reach 100 psi are the Topeak RaceRocket HP, supposedly the SKS Spaero SPort ALU according to what I've read will reach over 100 psi as well but I question it's durability since they seem to be spotty (I had a SKS Puro that was a piece of crap but the SKS Raceday Carbon was great, so not sure about this one). The last one which I haven't used but heard it works really well is the high end but heavy Silca Tattico; but I think with all the lower price options out there I can't really see the need to spend for Silca. There may be a couple of other pumps I missed that can reach those higher limits but the vast majority of pumps on the market cannot despite their claims of saying they can reach 110 or 160, they won't.

Top Bottom