Tyre repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yesterday my 1 ride old gp4000s II lost in a fight with a sharp object ajd sustained a cut all the way through to the tube....resulting in a blow-out. Fitted new tube and got home ok

Question - as the tyre is basically brand new......would you glue in a tyre boot and carry on using it?

Or

Would you replace the tyre altogether?

It depends on the cut and how fastidious you are.

A cut implies that the cords have been cut. Since they at as a constrictor of air pressure, the tube under pressure will still push through the cut, even with a boot of sorts. A way around this is to boot it with a non-stretch boot such as a piece of coke bottle plastic. However, this makes a schlop-schlop sound with each when revolution as if you have a Chihuahua stuck in the knobblies of your MTB tyre. The plastic doesn't flex like the tyre should and quickly causes a wear spot.

I would say that if you can make such a boot and it holds air pressure, use that tyre as a backup and get a new tyre.

I would recommend a brand that doesn't throw off strings which tangle in your brakes.*

*My tongue is firmly in my cheek with that comment because I know how you love Conti's.

The 4000sII's are brilliant, right up until you hit something sharp. I lost a brand new one, after one ride, when I hit a sharp (ish) Flint. It effectively wrecked the tyre. Although I love the performance of those tyres, I've gone back to Schwalbe D+, because they don't disintegrate when you hit anything worse than pea shingle. In answer to your question, use a tyre boot in the damaged tyre, until you sort out a new tyre. The tyre is effectively goosed, so take it easy in the mean time.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

ok - tyre thrown to the lions..........new one ordered

conti 4 seasons for commuting

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The 4000sII's are brilliant, right up until you hit something sharp. I lost a brand new one, after one ride, when I hit a sharp (ish) Flint. It effectively wrecked the tyre. Although I love the performance of those tyres, I've gone back to Schwalbe D+, because they don't disintegrate when you hit anything worse than pea shingle. In answer to your question, use a tyre boot in the damaged tyre, until you sort out a new tyre. The tyre is effectively goosed, so take it easy in the mean time.
just as a side note - its the first time i have punctured a 4000s in 3 years of commuting on them.......it just happened to be a brand new one fitted last weekend

h0lly1991

At least you weren't on a decent when you hit the debris had the blow out.......I've heard hot rim blow outs are dangerous as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
Im close to ordering a pair of GP4000s to replace my Gators. I had a 6mm slit through one gator tapering to maybe 2mm on the inside and it allowed the innertube to squeeze out over a short time and of course get damaged.
I used a couple inches of emery tape, rough side to the tyre, as a boot...and it was very successful. Each repair lasted maybe 3 months till the fabric of the emery tape wore out. I ran it all year like that...maybe 5 or 6k miles.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

At least you weren't on a decent when you hit the debris had the blow out.......I've heard hot rim blow outs are dangerous as well.
I was on a descent and hitting nearly 30mph...............disc brakes stop very quickly lol

Top Bottom