Tyre sealant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I use this stuff in my mtb. works a treat. Best stuff out there, and i would recomend it to anyone
tiresealant-quart32flozstans.jpg

But then again that is with tubeless rims and tyres, no inner tubes. but there is nothing to stop you putting some stans in your tubes to prevent punctures. of course it will make the wheels heavier, but you won't get any punctures :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
+1 to the stans solution above.

I also run it tubeless but I know of someone who uses it successfully in innertubes.
Worth bearing in mind that it doesn't last forever so you need to top it up after 6 months but it works out pretty cheap.

Search on YouTube for stans notubes to see what this stuff can do!

LizardEye

Stans works a treat with tubed tyres.
I was getting a p*****re a week on my commute.
Used this stuff in the tubes and it's about one every six months.

I've actually watched it in action when I've gone over some glass. Slight hiss and fluid leaking out as it starts to seal the hole, then within less than a minute the tube is sealed and off you go.

It doesn't make the tyres heavier, unless you are sensititve enough to notice a few extra grammes in weight.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
LizardEye said:
Stans works a treat with tubed tyres.
I was getting a p*****re a week on my commute.
Used this stuff in the tubes and it's about one every six months.

I've actually watched it in action when I've gone over some glass. Slight hiss and fluid leaking out as it starts to seal the hole, then within less than a minute the tube is sealed and off you go.

It doesn't make the tyres heavier, unless you are sensititve enough to notice a few extra grammes in weight.
Is this stuff suitable with presta valves?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
jdg88 said:
Newbie question (sorry) but how do you get it into the inner tubes?

If it's a Schrader valve, just unscrew the core and squirt it in.

Apparently, some Presta cores are also removeable, so you can do the same, but I've never done it on a Presta valve personally.

LizardEye

It's a bit of a faff but pretty simple - with a Schrader valve that is. Never tried it with a Presta.

What I do is just deflate the tyre with the wheel on the bike (upside down) and remove the core. Halfords do valve core tools for a couple of quid.

With the valve at the bottom of the wheel, pop a small funnel or similar into the valve and pour the required amount into it. This is the faffy bit as the bottle apparently has to be shaken upside down and the liquid squirted immdediatly into the tube. Once it's in, cover the valve and rotate the wheel slowly to coat the inside of the tube.

Refit the core, inflate the tyre and tell the p*****re fairy to **** off.

A ten quid bottle will do 6-8 tubes.

Top Bottom