Tyre size / brand decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I’d be interested to hear what the experience of other people has been re a planned tyre change.

I have two very similar Triban bikes - the main difference is that one has Sora and the other 105. Both are meant to be relaxed geometry and I have certainly found them comfortable. On one of the bikes I fitted 28mm Continental GP5000 (largest size I could use and still fit mudguards). I use this as my main winter/road bike.

On the other I went for Schwalbe G One Speed tyres in 35mm (no mudguards). This is more comfortable on our crappy roads, but is definitely slower than the other bike. On longer rides I find it quite sluggish and eventually more tiring.

I’m now planning to swap over to GP5000 tyres for this bike but can’t decide between 32mm and 28mm. I guess my question boils down to - are the gp5000 tyres just faster than the G ones or is it that the 28mm is a better size for the road.

Any ideas on this?

Gunk

Guru
The GP5000’s are a better tyre, they’re lighter and better quality.

Reactions: Dwn

DRM

Guru
In my experience, yes, I had G-One speeds on my gravel bike, but found they were ok on tarmac, dry off road & tow paths, but not that good in slightly muddy bits, so at Christmas I bought some GP5000's (32mm) and Fulcrum wheels for on road use, the bike definitely felt faster, the original wheels have Vittoria Terreno Dry's fitted, which are a bit better for mixed gravel/Tarmac use, but are slower, but thats fine for riding from home on that type of ride, I have a road bike with 28mm Continental Ultra Sports which are quite heavy, I put the 30mm G-Ones on there and they fit, and are faster than the Ultra Sports, and more comfortable, so that worked out better too, if the 32mm ones will fit your frame, get them, you won't be disappointed

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to go for the GP5000 and I’ll have a punt on the 32mm since I occasionally take a bike along the canal path.

Top Bottom