Tyre Size question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I have a Hybrid Cycle and have been told by Halfords Customer services that the only tyres that will fit my Cycle is a 650b, so 27.5b x 2.0". However a Cycle mechanic says that there would be no problem fitting a 700C with a tyre size of 27.5 x 1.5. I want a thinner tyre , but Halfords customer service feel that a 700C, so 27.5 x 1.5 wouldn't be wide enough? Should I take the advice of the Cycle mechanic who says he has fitted these before on other Cycles or wouldn't the tyre fit on the rim properly?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A 700C tyre won’t fit on a 650B rim - there’s a 38mm difference in diameter.

(700C wheels have a bead seat diameter of 622mm, 650B wheels have a bead seat diameter of 584mm.)

I’m guessing what your mechanic might mean is that you could swap the 650B wheels for 700C wheels if you want to run narrower tyres. Probably best to ask him to clarify.

Of course, there’s no reason why you can’t just fit a narrower 650B tyre.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, I'm sure that's what was meant.
Unfortunately there may well be a dearth of narrow tyres in your wheel size due to it mainly being used for MTB models, hence the wheel change suggestion.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd avoid the Detonators unless you like fixing punctures..and the horrid heavy sluggish slippery M+

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep change your wheels, can get a decent pair of entry level Shimano for under £100, then the world of skinny tyres is your lobster :okay:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If you can get hold of them in your size, you may want to have a look at Panaracer RiBMo.

They have a bullet profile, which means the bead of the tyre is wide, but the actual contact point with the road is very minimal

I had a set of them for years on my MTB for commute. A little bit heavy but totally puncture proof. I never had one puncture with them, even when I did a silly and took them off-road

560353_419618671430671_1651571601_n.jpg

Tim Hall

Yep change your wheels, can get a decent pair of entry level Shimano for under £100, then the world of skinny tyres is your lobster :okay:
Assuming of course that the frame can take 700c wheels. If it's rim braked that's another complication.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

The Cycle mechanic said he could fit them to the existing wheels, but Halfords customer service reckons you can't. This is the bikes spec (below.) Maybe this will help you decide if I can. Also, would this be the Panaracer RiBMo that someone mentioned? it's 27.5 x 1.50, so it's only narrow, but it does says it's a 650b? As you can see below my current tyre size is 27.5" x 2.125 Thank you!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panarace...020190?hash=item467388415e:g:gRYAAOSwjyhaIoIB

Approximate Weight (KG): 13kg
Brake Type: V-Brakes
Forks: Steel
Frame Material: Alloy
Number of Gears: 21
Pedals Included: Yes
Suspension: Rigid
Wheel Size: 27.5"
Bottom Bracket: Square Taper. sealed
Cassette/Freewheel: 7 speed Screw fit
Chain: KMC Z51 7 speed
Chainset: Suntour Triple 48/38/28T
Frame: Aluminium MTB style
Front Brake: Tektro V Brake
Front Hub: Formula, Alloy
Front Mech: Shimano FD-M191
Gear Shifters: Shimano Trigger shifters 7 speed
Grips: Carrera Comfort grip
Handlebar Type: Flat
Handlebars: 660mm, 25.4
Headset: Integrated 1 1/8"
Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Flat
Quick Release Front Wheel: Yes
Quick Release Rear Wheel: Yes
Rear Brake: Tektro V Brake
Rear Hub: Formula, Alloy
Rear Mech: Shimano Tourney 7 speed
Rims: Aluminium with CNC sidewall
Saddle: Carrera Components Comfort Saddle
Seatpost: Carrera Components micro adjust seatpost
Stem: Carrera Components alloy stem, 25.4
Type: Hybrid Bikes
Tyre Size: 27.5" x 2.125
Tyres: Semi Slick Urban Pattern

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Cycle mechanic said he could fit them to the existing wheels, but Halfords customer service reckons you can't. This is the bikes spec (below.) Maybe this will help you decide if I can. Thank you!

Approximate Weight (KG): 13kg
Brake Type: V-Brakes
Forks: Steel
Frame Material: Alloy
Number of Gears: 21
Pedals Included: Yes
Suspension: Rigid
Wheel Size: 27.5"
Bottom Bracket: Square Taper. sealed
Cassette/Freewheel: 7 speed Screw fit
Chain: KMC Z51 7 speed
Chainset: Suntour Triple 48/38/28T
Frame: Aluminium MTB style
Front Brake: Tektro V Brake
Front Hub: Formula, Alloy
Front Mech: Shimano FD-M191
Gear Shifters: Shimano Trigger shifters 7 speed
Grips: Carrera Comfort grip
Handlebar Type: Flat
Handlebars: 660mm, 25.4
Headset: Integrated 1 1/8"
Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Flat
Quick Release Front Wheel: Yes
Quick Release Rear Wheel: Yes
Rear Brake: Tektro V Brake
Rear Hub: Formula, Alloy
Rear Mech: Shimano Tourney 7 speed
Rims: Aluminium with CNC sidewall
Saddle: Carrera Components Comfort Saddle
Seatpost: Carrera Components micro adjust seatpost
Stem: Carrera Components alloy stem, 25.4
Type: Hybrid Bikes
Tyre Size: 27.5" x 2.125
Tyres: Semi Slick Urban Pattern
What actual bike is it? Carrera Subway or similar?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Cycle mechanic said he could fit them to the existing wheels, but Halfords customer service reckons you can't. This is the bikes spec (below.) Maybe this will help you decide if I can. Thank you!

Unfortunately, there's no useful information about the wheel rims in that spec sheet.

However, if I were you, I would trust the mechanic and ignore Halfords customer service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBosh

It's a Carrera Axle Limited addition.. Just on the phone to Halfords Customer Service again to see where they got that this is a 650b? I can't see 27.5b or 650b mentioned in the specs that I've listed, which has got me thinking that Customer Service doesn't know.

I'll go by what the Cycle mechanic has said on this occasion I think. However I am a little concerned about going to thin and putting a 27.5 x 1.5 on this wheel. Great if I can get away with it though because I want it more for the road.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
According to Halfords and all the specs I've seen say the Axle has 27.5" wheels. As the frame has fittings for V brakes you won't be able to change the wheels to a different size.

Top Bottom