Tyre Size question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MBosh

Sorry, but I have confused things in this thread. What Halfords said is that I cannot go below a width of 2.0", so 27.5 x 2.0". The Cycle Mechanic says I can go narrow to a width of 1.5, so 27.5 x 1.5..

Sorry, but it's the width they are concerned about, but the Cycle Mechanic says it's not a problem. What do you think?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
which has got me thinking that Customer Service doesn't even know if it's 700C or 650b

I'm beginning to suspect that you might not know what those terms actually mean.

27.5" = 650B

I seriously doubt your mechanic is recommending you try to fit 700C tyres on a 650B wheel - not if he has the slightest clue what he is doing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Sorry, but it's the width they are concerned about, but the Cycle Mechanic says it's not a problem. What do you think?

Right, that suddenly makes things a lot clearer. The mechanic is probably correct.

Can you take the tyre off the wheel and measure the width of the rim? (Vernier calipers are best for this but a standard ruler will do.)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Just look at the Schwalbe Marathon 27.5 tyres I posted a link for in my earlier post. Fantastic puncture protection, granted they are more sluggish than a slick road tyre but they will be much nippier than the stock tyres you have which look more off road than on. They are also 1.5” wide, just what you wanted.
There aren’t many narrow/slicker tyre options for 27.5” wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBosh

I was just going to get the mechanic to change the tyre, but I'll get back to you with the measurements if I can remove the tyre. I'm new to Cycling so not really sure how hard it is to replace a tyre yet. Thank you!

@Spiderweb - I'll have a look at those tyres. Thank you!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Carrera Axle Limited addition
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width."
I'll assert that the OP will be fine with 1.5" wide tyres though not clear to me what benefit the OP thinks they'll get by going for a narrower tyre - Faster? No. Look better? No.
As far as make/model options are concerned, search on "650b tyres semi slick" or "650b tyres semi slick" and take your pick.
The Schwalbe-marathon-supremes would be my pick, but they are not cheap.
Big Bens are only 11 quid, in 2" flavour.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was just going to get the mechanic to change the tyre, but I'll get back to you with the measurements if I can remove the tyre. I'm new to Cycling so not really sure how hard it is to replace a tyre yet. Thank you!

@Spiderweb - I'll have a look at those tyres. Thank you!
You’ll need a tyre lever to take the tyre off the rim, be careful not to pinch the inner tube between the rim and tool. When refitting you should be able to push it on using your thumbs only working both sides at the same time to the top.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just look at the Schwalbe Marathon [Plus] 27.5 tyres I posted a link for in my earlier post.
When refitting you should be able to push it on using your thumbs only working both sides at the same time to the top.
Off topic: " . . . push it on using your thumbs only" With M+s! You can try. M+s good for those with significant pungophobia (inner tube version) who value protection and endurance more than being able to fit them and remove them, and grip.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Off topic: " . . . push it on using your thumbs only" With M+s! You can try. M+s good for those with significant pungophobia (inner tube version) who value protection and endurance more than being able to fit them and remove them, and grip.
They are bullet proof tyres but completely agree with @Ajax Bay, they are a bugger to fit and take off. There are YouTube videos available to show you best practice, I recently fitted two for a friend and had to tyre lever them on to the rim, I doubt you would manage it with just thumbs.

MiK1138

Veteran
Sorry, but I have confused things in this thread. What Halfords said is that I cannot go below a width of 2.0", so 27.5 x 2.0". The Cycle Mechanic says I can go narrow to a width of 1.5, so 27.5 x 1.5..

Ah right that makes more sense, but its a fairly wide wheel so I would be sceptical about getting a 2" tyre on it, thats why I got rid of mine I could not find a decent slick tyre in that size.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a Carrera Axle Limited addition.. Just on the phone to Halfords Customer Service again to see where they got that this is a 650b? I can't see 27.5b or 650b mentioned in the specs that I've listed, which has got me thinking that Customer Service doesn't know.

I'll go by what the Cycle mechanic has said on this occasion I think. However I am a little concerned about going to thin and putting a 27.5 x 1.5 on this wheel. Great if I can get away with it though because I want it more for the road.
Wheel size 27.5 is in the second to last bullet in your spec list

If you get M+ get the mechanic to fit them, money well spent if you're not adept at tyre fitting or feeble of thumbs (like me)

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
not clear to me what benefit the OP thinks they'll get by going for a narrower tyre - Faster? No. Look better? No.

Well, maybe not as a function of being narrower per se but given that the existing tyres are likely to be pretty rubbish, swapping them for pretty much anything is likely to see a performance benefit.

Anyway, SJS Cycles have a decent selection of 27.5"/650B road tyres - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-275-584-650b/

If the aim is to go faster on tarmac, my pick of those would be the Marathon Supremes, which are available in two widths - either option would be a significant upgrade on the OP's existing tyres, but the 2.0" would also comply with the advice given by Halfords Customer Service:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/2...thon-supreme-hs469-folding-tyre-275-inch-584/

For a lot less money, the standard Marathons would also be a good choice:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-marathon-original-hs420-tyre-275-x-165-inch-44584/

saoirse50

Veteran
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/
When I did my training, you had to refit tyres without using tools. Thankfully, no Marathon pluses on any bike I worked on during my course! Although, the wider ones are easier to fit than the narrow ones. If I get a recalcitrant tyre that I really can’t refit by hand only now, I use this handy little tool, recommended to me some years ago by Steve Abraham.

Top Bottom