Tyre size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I bought a new tyre a week ago,and iv just got round to checking its size.Now i know that sounds daft,and it probably is,but when i bought it i asked the guy in the shop for a mountain bike back tyre,he said there you go,my best seller,so without thinking walked out with it.Now i just looked at the tyre on my bike and it says 26x1.95,on the one i just got it says 27x1.95,i havnt tried putting it on yet,in case im taking it back,but can there be that difference in the tyre size and still fit on?cheers:blush:

chris42

Yes there can be a difference.
26 or 27 refers to the wheel diamater so a 26 will not fit on a 27 and 27 not on a 26.
The 1.95 refers to the tred width.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
The downside is,i walked into the shop on spek,i dont even know what its called,let alone find it again,and probably wont be able to go back to it for a few more weeks,so im wondering if i have much chance of swapping it.
But it was my fault,i thought mountain bike wheels were all the same size in general,obviously they are not.

Mr Phoebus

col said:
The downside is,i walked into the shop on spek,i dont even know what its called,let alone find it again,and probably wont be able to go back to it for a few more weeks,so im wondering if i have much chance of swapping it.
But it was my fault,i thought mountain bike wheels were all the same size in general,obviously they are not.
How is it? The shopkeeper is the one who made the mistake, not you!

Hi Col

You may want to check that size again, 27 x 1.95 is not a size I've heard of before.

27" tyres are usually 27 x 1,1/4 or 1,3/8 and are an old imperial road tyre size.

MTB's are known as 26" but are actually 559mm x 1.95 or whatever width the particular tyre is.

The two would not easily be mistaken.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Oh my god:blush:Your sooo right Starsteven,what a bloody plonker i am,i dont know how i saw 27 ,its 26 on checking.aaaagh what a tit i am:laugh:
What a relief:biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Mr Phoebus;45292][QUOTE=col said:
How is it? The shopkeeper is the one who made the mistake, not you![/QUOTE]

And he didnt Mr P, i did :blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Slice of humble pie anyone ????

Mr Phoebus

col said:
And he didn't Mr P, i did :blush:

I admire that! You could've kept quiet and let the thread quietly slip away into obscurity. But!!! You decided to bare your soul, lay your cards on the table, spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag.
You've got balls, Col. Great big 27" ones. :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
Actually col, I'm glad starseven pointed out the error because I also hadn't heard of a 27 x 1.95 but didn't have the confidence or knowledge to say it in print!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
col said:

Check out Sheldon Brown for everything you ever wanted to know about tyre sizes but were to embarrassed to ask;)

Top Bottom