Tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Evening to all, just picked up my new endurance road bike ( after some some cock-ups thanks to TNT) and just wanted to know about tyre size. Mine has 25mm, but do you really notice the difference if you go for 28mm ? Thoughts.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm not sure I'd notice a massive amount of difference in 3 mil, I mean in theory that does / should give a slightly more comfortable ride but I'm probably not perceptive enough to notice it. Some riders will I think, some are more attuned to these things.

I go from 23mm on my road bike to to 35mm on my tourer and of course that increase in comfort is very noticeable, but personally I'd not stump up for new tyres to gain a tiny amount more comfort on a road bike.

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Tend to agree, prity sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, just never tried anything else and wondered if it was something worth trying down the road (no pun intended)

Ajax Bay

Guru
You may not be able to tell the difference but your body will thank you for the better suspension and the rolling resistance is broadly the same, ceteris paribus.
Just bear in mind that different makes and models of tyre measure up wider or narrower than the advertised (eg) 28mm. This site offers an insight into likely variations (using a 17mm internal rim width and 100psi as standard conditions).
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews
For example my daughter's (triathon team-supplied) tyres come up as 27mm for a 622-25.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/vittoria-corsa-speed-g2

Milzy

Guru
Evening to all, just picked up my new endurance road bike ( after some some cock-ups thanks to TNT) and just wanted to know about tyre size. Mine has 25mm, but do you really notice the difference if you go for 28mm ? Thoughts.
I use 25 for best bike and 28 for training bike. 28's take the bad broken roads better.

Top Bottom