Tyre Sizes - 23, 24, 25mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Having only had road bikes with 700/23 tyres I was wondering what the difference would be if I had 24 (Conti have reintroduced the Grand Prix in this size) or 25.

This is the difference in normal Sunday morning style riding, not racing.

I've read that some use 23 front and 25 rear - good/bad?

I realise that wider tyres may sacrifice speed and/or acceleration for comfort but would an extra 1 or 2mm make much of a difference for the regular rider?

Anyone got any experience of this?

Ta!

I've started using a 23/25 combo on my trainer, it seems fine to me but I can't really say how but it seem to keep up with the pack fine.

I suppose it's down to the design and profile of the tyre. Conti state that the wider tyre offers less rolling resistance although I can't see the extra mm making that much of a difference so it's probably down to the aforementioned - that's if you believe the blurb.

gabriel959

Continental top end tyre combo is the Attack/Force which combines a 22mm front and a 24mm rear so I don’t see why running a 23/25 would cause any problems.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm riding 22s front and back for time trialling as there isn't space for a 23 between the seatstays. Don't find it a problem at all - handling feels the same and I still belt it round corners and RABs.

I do find a 25 on the fixed more comfortable though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've recently gone the other way, changing my front 23 for a 20 (the back's still 23). Can't say I've noticed any real difference.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Those sizes are so close, that if you notice a difference, it's probably imagined. There are no laws regarding truth in tyre sizing, and upon measuring them, you may even find that the 23 is wider than the 25. That's how manufacturers compete for the lightest tyre. "OUR 25 is lighter than THEIR 25...(because our 25 is actually a 24). "Oh, YEAH? Well our NEW 25 is even lighter than THEIR 25...(because our NEW 25 is now a 23). You get the picture.

threefingerjoe said:
Those sizes are so close, that if you notice a difference, it's probably imagined. There are no laws regarding truth in tyre sizing, and upon measuring them, you may even find that the 23 is wider than the 25. That's how manufacturers compete for the lightest tyre. "OUR 25 is lighter than THEIR 25...(because our 25 is actually a 24). "Oh, YEAH? Well our NEW 25 is even lighter than THEIR 25...(because our NEW 25 is now a 23). You get the picture.

They also mess around with how close the tyre sits on the rim.My 20mm (they are 21mm) Veloflex's sit pretty close to the rim which gives a "lively" ride so if they have reduced the height of the tyre and increased the width you may get a slightly more uncomfortable ride.

montage

God Almighty
thinner looks better

Top Bottom