Tyre sizes - Confused!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick but it's all new to me. I want some grippier tyres for my cross bike. Halfords said I needed 700x35c and to check their website for the ones I want. But the ones I (think) I want are listed as 26" x 2.2"!

I'm lost. Can anyone tell me if these are cyclo-cross or mountain bike? as they look way to wide to me.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/continental-x-king-bike-tyre-26-x-2-2

Thanks
They are MTB tyres.
Halfords are - amazingly ;) - correct, you should be looking for 700 x 35c

edit - or 700 x 32c or x 28c. The important bit is the 700, and then decide how wide you want to go.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ignore all tyre sizes except the two numbers with a dash in between (ISO). There are at least four different incompatible sizes called 26" for example and the others aren't much less of a mess. In ISO sizes, the triple digit number is the bead seat diameter and the double is the width. You can vary the double subject to rim width and clearance, but not the triple.

I agree more width doesn't necessarily mean more grip: pressure, compound, pattern and probably more have influence too.

Top Bottom