Tyre slick formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viper5

Regular
More bonkers questions..

New bike new tyre..

Now the tyre looks fit for a formula 1 car. No tread perfect slick. How the eck will this grip?

I thought a little tread may assist but probably got that wrong.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
As long as you stay on the road you will be fine,:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Slicks don't grip on leaf mulch as well and get cut up by small sharps more easily because there's no dents for stuff to get pushed into and fall out again next revolution. Slicks may have more grip on clean roads but how often do we have those in winter?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing grips on wet leaves.
You keep telling yourself that, but I'll keep on riding my treaded tyres that squish the mulch into the grooves and let some rubber reach the tarmac.

OK, if the leaves really pile up, nothing will bite through, but they're not falling that fast here this year and the council workers with the leaf blowers are doing a great job of clearing the cycle track corners where leaves tend to drift.

Slick tyres can suffer from aquaplaning, which is why F1 drivers switch to treaded tyres in rain, and fret so much about tyre choice and when to switch.
The speed at which a tyre aquaplanes can be estimated. For normal cars, it is around 50mph. Wider tyres aquaplane at lower speeds, so F1 are very vulnerable.
Bicycles aquaplane at speeds far in excess of any attainable by a rider.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Slick tyres can suffer from aquaplaning, which is why F1 drivers switch to treaded tyres in rain, and fret so much about tyre choice and when to switch.
The speed at which a tyre aquaplanes can be estimated. For normal cars, it is around 50mph. Wider tyres aquaplane at lower speeds, so F1 are very vulnerable.
Bicycles aquaplane at speeds far in excess of any attainable by a rider.

Edging over 120mph is a risk, according to Schwalbe.

"Unlike a car, a bicycle will not aquaplane. The contact area is much smaller and the contact pressure is much higher. The floating effect of aquaplaning could only theoretically be achieved on a bicycle ridden at speeds over 200 km/h."

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/profil.html

Top Bottom