Tyre slick formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Rubbish...

It's not rubbish Jack.

jack smith

Veteran
Frictional force = Coefficient of Friction * Reactive Force

Where does area come into it?
And where did i mention friction? That is you putting words into my mouth trying to be clever.
the more rubber in contact with the road the better for in regards to tread for a roadbike.

Tread moves, that movement will definitely cause drag, but also may improve traction in difficult conditions ...
Not really.

The surface of the tyre will remain with the same friction, if the tread moves so much to be sliding. Then in nearly all cases, a sliding tyre has less friction than a rolling tyre.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
That isn't really what I was saying, but never mind

Subotai72

More bonkers questions..

New bike new tyre..

Now the tyre looks fit for a formula 1 car. No tread perfect slick. How the eck will this grip?

I thought a little tread may assist but probably got that wrong.

Yeah, so anyway...I think you're good to go.

A wider tyre will have a higher coefficient of friction, that's where area comes into it ( disclaimer: I think :smile: )

Nope ;)

Coefficient of friction is a property between 2 materials, the surface area isn't part of it there either.

The reason why high power cars use big wide wheels isn't for grip, but for heat dissipation.
F1 is a good example, their tyres are very tightly controlled by regulations, obviously a car tyre can aquaplane so they have tread in which to clear water. Now, if you look at an intermediate tyre, they have blocks on the tyre for the tread. This pattern doesn't clear water. These are for when the surface is wet, but with no standing water, and can be used on very cold tracks too.

The blocks don't clear water, they reduce surface area, to increase the heat, to get the compound up to optimum temperature.

Surface area on tyres is used primarily to control heat, not for grip.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Coefficient of friction is a property between 2 materials, the surface area isn't part of it there either.
My degree was statistics not mechanical mathematics, so it's a very very long time since I did stuff like this and it could be wrong: a larger surface supporting the same weight will be under a lower pressure (which is measured per unit area, after all - pounds per square inch or Newtons per metre square or whatever), which might be why contact area isn't part of the consideration and only the coefficient of friction is.

If so, then tread reducing the contact surface area isn't reducing grip and grip only reduces if the tread is so deep/knobbly that the blocks are moving around.

Ihatehills

Nope ;)

The reason why high power cars use big wide wheels isn't for grip, but for heat dissipation.
F1 is a good example, their tyres are very tightly controlled by regulations, obviously a car tyre can aquaplane so they have tread in which to clear water. Now, if you look at an intermediate tyre, they have blocks on the tyre for the tread. This pattern doesn't clear water. These are for when the surface is wet, but with no standing water, and can be used on very cold tracks too.

The blocks don't clear water, they reduce surface area, to increase the heat, to get the compound up to optimum temperature.

Surface area on tyres is used primarily to control heat, not for grip.

Apologies, it doesn't make much sense to me yet but I've googled enough to know That you are correct
( thinking was always gonna be a bad idea :sad: )

Top Bottom