Tyre splitting - bin it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Just noticed this on a Michelin Pro2 Performance 4 or whatever it's called - is this the sign of an impending tyre failure? Both scars are on the same side of the front tyre, maybe a few inches between them but both running along the same line.

6 months old, probably just over 1000 miles, back tyre looks fine although both tyres have a lot more nicks and gashes in them than I'm used to from other tyres.

roley poley

Über Member
I would take it off and have have a good look at the inside also when its off you can squeeze the tyre walls together to open the" crack "for a good looksee and judge better

D

Deleted member 1258

It looks like the tread is starting to separate from the carcass of the tyre, as said above , take it off and have a good look at it, personally I'd just change it.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Surprising it that bad after 1000 miles would expect longer life than that but I have no experience of that tyre brand

Glasgow road surfaces. :smile: No I don't know, it feels like a fast tyre but there are definitely a lot more bits cut out of the surface than I've ever seen on other tyres so maybe the outer layer just isn't that resilient.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Just noticed this on a Michelin Pro2 Performance 4 or whatever it's called - is this the sign of an impending tyre failure? Both scars are on the same side of the front tyre, maybe a few inches between them but both running along the same line.

6 months old, probably just over 1000 miles, back tyre looks fine although both tyres have a lot more nicks and gashes in them than I'm used to from other tyres.

View attachment 522075

View attachment 522077

Yes, get it replaced.

This happened to me on Friday and left me stranded on the side of the road. Had to phone the wife for a lift home. Not idea in lockdown.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last Michelin Pro4 Endurance I rode lasted over 8000km on rear. Did seem to nick up a bit more than Continentals. Replaced before PBP 2019 (with a 4000SII).
Even if the cracks are just cosmetic (sort of) they offer the way in for little sharp bits. I agree that 1600km seems an unreasonably short endurance, given the tyre model. But the seller/supplier cannot know how far you've actually ridden it. I think @I like Skol is a bit optimistic.
I have a new one of these waiting to go on.
This happened to me on Friday
@Joffey - that's an entirely different failure mode, but I appreciate you're saying that, in these trying times, you'd be best to minimise the chances of ride ending failure and that brownie-point-losing rescue call.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I agree that 1600km seems an unreasonably short endurance, given the tyre model. But the seller/supplier cannot know how far you've actually ridden it. I think @I like Skol is a bit optimistic.
They can easily tell how worn it is though, from appearance or simply cutting in to it. No manufacturer should be able to avoid warranty responsibility on faulty product simply because the item is used.

Ajax Bay

Guru
two separate posts at the same time on CC with Similar tyre faults, ........ must be something in the Air !
As I opined, @ozboz , these are only similar in that they both involve a tyre and they're both longitudinal as opposed to 'point' and they can both be photographed. One has lost 'Air', with a loud report: the OP one maintains 'Air' pressure.
One is a side wall failure after many thousands of miles (I had one go a month ago just like this at over 9000km with the tread wear dimples still in evidence). The one in the OP (NB tyre has not failed) looks like a manufacturing fault at the tread/sidewall boundary.

Top Bottom