Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Chain reaction have the pro4 endurance in 25mm guise
How does the endurance perform compared to the Service Course? Any experience?

Any reason not to consider 23mm?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hefty 69Kg, lol...

Been riding Rubino Pro's (first time) on my good bike that's been pressed into service as an all-week bike. No issue so far other than a couple of uphill out of saddle wheelspins.

My fair weather tyre of choice over the past cpl of years has been Pro 4 SC. Which are ok in the wet too providing they are new-ish. You'll start to pick up punctures after a while, especially in the wet but they have tended to last me 2k miles or so, maybe a bit less. Can be had for 20 quid though, so won't break the bank.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep hefty lol @ 69kg, add on another 25 odd kgs and your up there with me. I loved the Pro 4 SC and their predecesors in a 23mm but getting them in a 25 is proving very hard now. I think I don`t mind the pay off between light/fast rolling and more puncture protection. The Endurance I reckon would be a good all rounder, but Durano S is defo a great performer. As for Conti my lad has conti gators fitted to his road bike and I have been less tan impressedwith handlingand deflations.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Just to put it out there.... Last year I purchased some Pro4 sc tyres and found then really good but after about 500 miles or so they developed large side wall cracks. Another person in our group also had the same issue and sent them back and the same thing happened with the next set. Put me off to be honest. At the moment I'm looking into the Conti 4 seasons as an all year round tyre

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Just when the Pro 4 SC's were sounding favourable too.

I am finding the GP4000S as a great tyre all year round so far. No visits from the P Fairy yet and looking good after 750 miles. Struggling not to buy another set at this point tbh.

Could move them back to the Bianchi and get 4 seasons for the Defy maybe.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Just when the Pro 4 SC's were sounding favourable too.

I am finding the GP4000S as a great tyre all year round so far. No visits from the P Fairy yet and looking good after 750 miles. Struggling not to buy another set at this point tbh.

Could move them back to the Bianchi and get 4 seasons for the Defy maybe.
That combination is what I'm using. The 4000s on the best bike are past 3000 miles now with plenty more to go, the other 2 road bikes run 4 seasons in 23mm and 28mm. They have all been superb!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
That combination is what I'm using. The 4000s on the best bike are past 3000 miles now with plenty more to go, the other 2 road bikes run 4 seasons in 23mm and 28mm. They have all been superb!
How do the 4 seasons compare to the GP4000S'?

so that was a good 3k miles
Is that all you get from a set of road tyres?!
I'm currently on course for doing about 5k a year and was thinking I'd get at least a couple of years out of a set even if I rode them all year round - is this naive?
I've no experience of anything other than MTB tyres (I've had my current set on for 14 years! Though the bike was woefully underused for a big chunk of that) so am not even sure how I'll know when they need replacing if I can't see the tread wearing off! Increased punctures/decreased grip?
My new bike comes shod with Continental Grand Sport Race, 700x25c - does anyone have any experience of these? Can't find any reviews online.
I'm prob going to be riding them only in the dry weather, on (not great) roads and (decent) cycle paths and I weigh about 10stone - how many miles do people reckon I can expect out of them roughly based on that?

Top Bottom