Tyre Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barlowben16

Ive just stuck a new set of Gators on my Boardman CX Team 16 and got cycle republic to price match Wiggle so worked out pretty good.

Sorry to bring this one up again but just one last quick question . The tyres are on and I am happy with the ride. I have a couple of inner tubes left in the tyre size previous to these 700 x 25's . Will these inner tubes to fit 700 x 28 - 700 x 37 be ok to use with the new tyres , obviously they won't be ideal but will they do a job?
Will work like a charm.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Cheers mate !
I thought is was another of my stupid questions to go with the long list of ones I have already asked in 5 years of posting on here ! :laugh:
I will keep the spare inner tubes I had for the old tyres then as opposed to buying new ones in the exact size of the new. Saved me a few quid :smile:
Have a good weekend :okay:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

As predicted earlier in the thread I have had a puncture , on the way into work this morning , with the Gators after just 160 miles , just typical ! :laugh: . It was a very fine straightened out staple that went through so I suppose its just one of this things.......
Yellow Saddles prediction on the slightly oversized inner tubes fitting fine were right though :okay: . I didn't find the tyres that much harder to get off and on than my previous Vittorias which was good as I was a bit apprehensive about that.
Anyway have a great day all !

As predicted earlier in the thread I have had a puncture , on the way into work this morning , with the Gators after just 160 miles , just typical ! :laugh: . It was a very fine straightened out staple that went through so I suppose its just one of this things.......
Yellow Saddles prediction on the slightly oversized inner tubes fitting fine were right though :okay: . I didn't find the tyres that much harder to get off and on than my previous Vittorias which was good as I was a bit apprehensive about that.
I have done 529 miles in just over a month without issue, though some 20 odd miles were on other tyres while I changed wheels over.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Its just my luck mate I am afraid ! ^_^ . I am sure there are lots of worse things happened to other people today whilst I moan about a puncture !

gbb

Legendary Member
Puncture after 160 miles...I wouldn't even blink. It's just a hazard of cycling. I've run Gators on 4 bikes and always had good mileage, good speed and been happy with them. Even one I got a 6mm slit in it after maybe 200 miles, I just inserted a boot and rode it for maybe another 3 or 4000 miles. I've had punctures...but a lot of it is luck/bad luck, I've equally run 2 years without a puncture on Gators.
Swapped to GP4000S now, just to see if they are faster. Too soon to really know, TBF they feel a tad different but no more.

Watch the Gators in the wet until they've scrubbed up a bit, new Gators can be very twitchy in the wet. Theyre fine with some miles in them though.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Gatorskinz are horrible tyres to ride on. Great puncture protection but awful to fit on some rims and give a feel of riding through treacle. Can't offer an alternative sorry but I'd steer clear of gatorz
I found the wire bead version a pita to install but then I got the non_wire version which are far easier to install.

You're right about the harsh ride and I always stayed slow in the corners especially in the wet. Later I got a little faster as I got more accustomed to riding them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Got Gatorskins on the Road Comp when the factory fit Vittoria Zaffiros started to get a bit cut up on our fine local roads. No problems at all, wet or dry, if anything I prefer the Conti's and they look to have loads of wear left in them.

The new bike has got Vittoria Rubino Pros and they also seem perfectly fine.

In fact the only tyre I've ever had a problem with was a Schwalbe Marathon I put on the rear of the hybrid after I had a big failure. Horrible, dead tyre with very little feel. It lasted a month before it was swapped for a Schwalbe Land Cruiser, which suited me much better.

Over a thousand miles no without a visit.

Top Bottom