Tyre Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Morning all,
Five years on from starting commuting and I am still posting in "Beginners" ! :laugh:
I am thinking about upgrading the tyres on my Boardman Hybrid Comp as I have done over 2000 miles in 8 months.
Currently have the original Vittoria Zaffiros 700cx28 on there and in fairness have only had one puncture but they have a few little nicks and signs of wear now.
I was thinking about grabbing some Gatorskins in the Halfords spend over £50 and get a tenner off offer. I can make it up to £50 with a few bits I need and I also get my 10% BC off so they would have only cost £36 and I get free fitting at Halfords.
Problem is they only do the Gators in a 700x25 and I don't really want to change from the 28s I have. Happy with that size.
Anything similar spec and size 700x28 out there Halfords sell that anyone could recommend?
Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
You could forget Halfords and just get two of these for £30. Recently did for my Whyte when new tyres are needed

https://www.evanscycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-700c-foldable-road-tyre-EV248338

Really good tyres, better than the Zaffiro

Hear mixed things on the Gatorskins and agree that 25mm is a bit skinny on a hybrid.
How about Durano+?
Expensive though and no BC discount on web exclusive IIRC
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-durano-plus-flex-700c

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Hi Vickster!
Those Duranos are a bit out of my league :sad:
I am sure I have had the BC discount on web exclusives before when I have collected bit I may be wrong.....
Wanted to use Halfords ideally as they are local and fit free. They give it the once over aswell when its been in before and tweek my gears etc etc :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
It looks like you can now do click and collect on web exclusives, used to have to pay online, so no discount

What 28mm tyres in your price range do halfords have? Hmm none really

I'd get the Evans one and fit myself ... Or see if a Halfords might oblige if you have a good relationship with the shop

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

In fairness I could fit myself Vickster but I am lazy when it comes to this sort of thing...... saying that its not really lazy its just the fact that most jobs I do lead to others :laugh:.
I will damage the rim, break an inner tube valve, pinch an inner tube and puncture etc etc ..... you get the drift! :banghead:
Took me 30 mins yesterday to change the inner tube on the back wheel of my second bike the Kona Dew Hybrid.
Like you say Halfords have very little in the 700x28 range which I find quite surprising........

vickster

Legendary Member
Just change the tyres while sat in front of the TV. No time pressure :smile:

No point buying from Halfords if they don't have what you want surely

Or just get the 25mm Gators, or maybe they have something in a 32?

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Gatorskinz are horrible tyres to ride on. Great puncture protection but awful to fit on some rims and give a feel of riding through treacle. Can't offer an alternative sorry but I'd steer clear of gatorz

I would recommend the Michelin V2 Pro 4 Endurance in 700x28.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre-700-x-28/

I have them on both of my bikes and have found them to be very resistant to Knicks and cuts while offering an excellent ride.

Review here:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/tyres/michelin-pro4-endurance-tyres

Fit them yourself. Then keep taking them off and refitting them in the comfort of your lounge, until you feel confident of doing it easily in the event of a puncture out on the road.

Graham

Been using Gatorskins for years and won't switch any time soon. Great tyres IME. I don't know about Big Dave's riding through treacle comment, I've certainly never experienced that, but can't do anything about the size though.

FWIW they are also very easy to fit, as in fact are virtually any tyres, (including Marathon+), so don't be put off by anyone saying otherwise ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I would recommend the Michelin V2 Pro 4 Endurance in 700x28.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre-700-x-28/

I have them on both of my bikes and have found them to be very resistant to Knicks and cuts while offering an excellent ride.

Review here:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/tyres/michelin-pro4-endurance-tyres

Fit them yourself. Then keep taking them off and refitting them in the comfort of your lounge, until you feel confident of doing it easily in the event of a puncture out on the road.

Graham
I had the first gen pro 4 in 25mm on road bikes. Only tyre I've actually worn holes in, did take a couple of thousand miles of urban roads though. Nice to ride. Might find the 28mm comes up a little bigger once inflated , the older 25s certainly did

Don't think Halfords sell them though

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Been using Gatorskins for years and won't switch any time soon. Great tyres IME. I don't know about Big Dave's riding through treacle comment, I've certainly never experienced that, but can't do anything about the size though.

FWIW they are also very easy to fit, as in fact are virtually any tyres, (including Marathon+), so don't be put off by anyone saying otherwise ;)
Maybe it's because you've been riding them for years that you have nothing to compare them to. Compare them to Conti GP4000s or Schwalbe Duranos and they're sluggish as hell but they offer great puncture protection. So horses for courses. I prefer to fix punctures in return for better ride quality.

Maybe it's because you've been riding them for years that you have nothing to compare them to. Compare them to Conti GP4000s or Schwalbe Duranos and they're sluggish as hell but they offer great puncture protection. So horses for courses. I prefer to fix punctures in return for better ride quality.
I've got a pair of GP4000s hung in the shed, great tyres but they're shredded too easily on the roads round here. In fact I've used all manor of 'fancy pants race tyres' over the years and all are equally poor on local roads in terms of durability.

So in order to keep Mrs Smoo from cutting up my bank cards I decided to stick to Gatorskins as they last really well IME, ride perfectly well IME and therefore provide the best of all worlds, of course only IME.

Horses for courses innit ;)

Forget about tenner off deals from Hellfrauds,which really isn't a tenner off anything.
Get some Spesh All Condition Flak Jackets.
That is all.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

All good interesting stuff.....
In fairness I ALWAYS feel like I am cycling through treacle! :laugh:
Forget about tenner off deals from Hellfrauds,which really isn't a tenner off anything.
Get some Spesh All Condition Flak Jackets.
That is all.
I could have got two new Gators fitted and 4 inner tubes for £36 so in this case it certainly would have been a bargain IF they would have had the correct size so its irrelevant now really! :sad:

Top Bottom