Tyre Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I spotted today my rear tyre look dangerously worn, although I didn't spot any severe wear on Sunday when I had this tyre off to fix a puncture, including a check around the tyre to remove the glass.

The tyre is 7 months old and done approx 3500 miles. Does the patchiness of the wear look normal or has something gone wrong here:

IMG_20141217_144507760.jpg IMG_20141217_144515586.jpg

I am now looking for a new equivalent tyre, the current tyres are just described as "Felt All Weather PRB (Puncture Resistance Belting), 700cx25c". What would be the best equivalent, with similar level of puncture resistance (I've had 2 on this tyre) and suitable for winter as well as summer? Ideally something I can get hold off before the weekend!

And what is the done thing, bearing in mind the front tyre is OK? Swap them both, keeping front for spare; put front on back and a new one on front ...?

That looks normal to me.

I'm a big fan of Rubinos - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176/post-3289751

Evans sell them, and you can get a price match with Wiggle if they are expensive.

Definitely put the better tyre on front. No need to buy two at once (unless you go for colours and want them to match).

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
That looks normal to me.

I'm a big fan of Rubinos - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176/post-3289751

Evans sell them, and you can get a price match with Wiggle if they are expensive.

Definitely put the better tyre on front. No need to buy two at once (unless you go for colours and want them to match).

Thanks, are they puncture resistant? I did see that thread and looked on Wiggle but Wiggle responded to a Question saying they have no puncture resistant band?

(My tyre doesn't look quite as bad as the one in your pic, but once I see something like this my mind is constant on it and I think I should replace!)

young Ed

Veteran
patchiness looks normal to me and yes defo put new tyre on front and current part worn front tyre on back as a blow out on the front can throw the steering all over the place and you will almost certainly come off where as a rear blow out will just make you jump probably
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks.

Looks like I will go for that. Seems the colours are only available in 700x23c and I thought the red/black would look good on my red/black Felt! 700x25c is black only! Turns out some sites have 700x25c in red/black!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Bought a Rubino from Amazon, £9.50 delivered next day (Amazon Prime) and now on the bike.:thumbsup:

Done a dry 40 miler and all seems fine. Took some effort getting it on the rim compared to my old tyre, had to go around twice making sure the tube was free as it was getting caught!

Top Bottom