Tyre width and loose rock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
These days, as I don't race*, I tend to think in terms of seasonal tyres rather than condition specific ones. This means of course than 2012 has been Winter - Spring - Spring - Autumn - Winter - Winter - Winter - Winter - Autumn so far in terms of tyre choice.

*but the idea of taking part, for fun on a strictly non-competitive basis, in some gravity enduro stuff next year appeals.

Lee_M

Guru
Lee - ha ha - the amount of times my more experienced mates have said that to me....^_^...easier said than done when you are bricking it on some downhill wet cobbles. *

oh I know

My first real experience of downhill was in Greece recently, it was all loose rocks and boulders with big cliffs as a warning if you got it wrong!

Faster did help as your front wheel floats over more of the terrain and it has less effect

you do need bigger balls though, and I did nearly crap myself a couple of times :hyper:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
oh I know

My first real experience of downhill was in Greece recently, it was all loose rocks and boulders with big cliffs as a warning if you got it wrong!

Faster did help as your front wheel floats over more of the terrain and it has less effect

you do need bigger balls though, and I did nearly crap myself a couple of times :hyper:
Based on my own experience of over cooking it big time at Les Gets when you do get it completely and utterly wrong you don't remember it anyway. I bet the views from the emergency helicopter were brilliant too.

Lee_M

Guru
Based on my own experience of over cooking it big time at Les Gets when you do get it completely and utterly wrong you don't remember it anyway. I bet the views from the emergency helicopter were brilliant too.

brilliant post, made my day - wheres the bashed up smil;ey when you need one!

VamP

Banned
These days, as I don't race*, I tend to think in terms of seasonal tyres rather than condition specific ones. This means of course than 2012 has been Winter - Spring - Spring - Autumn - Winter - Winter - Winter - Winter - Autumn so far in terms of tyre choice.

*but the idea of taking part, for fun on a strictly non-competitive basis, in some gravity enduro stuff next year appeals.

My takeaway from the above post is:

a) Greg has not changed tyres at all this year

b) Greg is going racing next year :bravo:

and from this one:

c) Greg's one crazy assed mofo

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If only c) were true. Clumsy over-confident oaf with a predilection for crashing, needlessly, at high speed, when riding alone on a strange hire bikes on strange mountains in foreign countries. Somewhere on that Les Gets mountainside is my mojo, which I dropped, both literally and figuratively, in that crash.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member

You're utterly mad :smile:

lulubel. DO NOT rely on a pump with a pressure gauge when setting your tyre pressures so low. Notoriously inconsistent, espcailly over time, and inaccurate. Digital tyre pressure gauge is the way to go.

Pump gauges measure pressure in the pump, not in the tyre and it's easy to be 30 psi out. A little digital checker like this one is what you want.

That's a pain. I'm short of carrying space on the bike already (and absolutely will not do the sweaty back thing), and I'll have even less space when I get my dropper seat post and have to lose the huge wedge pack (although I assume I can still carry a small bag that fits on the saddle rails as long as it doesn't interfere with the seat post), so I might as well get a digital gauge for home and carry on with the thumb method on the trails. At least once I know what a certain pressure feels like, I'll be a bit more accurate.

Is the pressure gauge on track pumps equally unreliable?

So I need a new pump without a gauge, then. Preferably one like my road pump that has an extra strap to stop it popping out of its plastic clips every time it gets a bit bumpy. (Although I have to say my current one doesn't do that on the trails. It just works its way loose and then falls out in traffic in the middle of town :rolleyes: )

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find the pressure gauge on my track pump (Topeak Joeblow ?Sport?) to be pretty accurate and consistent (using digital gauge as reference) provided I keep the pump plunger pressed down. That said, one of the track pumps at work? Not so much.

I don't have ninja thumbs and cannot determine type pressure using that method despite years of trying.

And I'm not mad. I didn't set out to half kill myself, that would be mad, I was just overtaken by events in the guise of the merciless laws of physics.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
And I'm not mad. I didn't set out to half kill myself, that would be mad, I was just overtaken by events in the guise of the merciless laws of physics.

I was referring to your disappointment at missing the views from the emergency helicopter as clear evidence of your insanity ^_^

VamP

Banned
If only c) were true. Clumsy over-confident oaf with a predilection for crashing, needlessly, at high speed, when riding alone on a strange hire bikes on strange mountains in foreign countries. Somewhere on that Les Gets mountainside is my mojo, which I dropped, both literally and figuratively, in that crash.

Sounds like you need to get back there with your Nerve (ehm) to get your Nerve, erm mojo back. On second thoughts, that's probably a really bad idea. You decide.

VamP

Banned
Is the pressure gauge on track pumps equally unreliable?

So I need a new pump without a gauge, then. Preferably one like my road pump that has an extra strap to stop it popping out of its plastic clips every time it gets a bit bumpy. (Although I have to say my current one doesn't do that on the trails. It just works its way loose and then falls out in traffic in the middle of town :rolleyes: )

It was a track pump that I was specifically referring to. I agree that by using the digital gauge periodically you will get a good feel for what's right.

Have you given some thought to getting a little camelback type rucksack? I rarely find that I get any more sweaty with that than without, and it's the mutt's nuts for extended offroading.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was a track pump that I was specifically referring to. I agree that by using the digital gauge periodically you will get a good feel for what's right.

Have you given some thought to getting a little camelback type rucksack? I rarely find that I get any more sweaty with that than without, and it's the mutt's nuts for extended offroading.
A must in my opinion. Wouldn't ride the high mountains without one, and find them useful for anything more epic than playing down the woods. (and you need to set your sag with one on, fully loaded, with a full bladder. The bag, not you.)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sounds like you need to get back there with your Nerve (ehm) to get your Nerve, erm mojo back. On second thoughts, that's probably a really bad idea. You decide.
I've done several alps since. Salzburgerland. Slovenia. Other bits of the French ones. And some other mountains. And a fair few UK mountains, too though not so many trail centres. I think I may regain my mojo, if it is to be regained at all, as I'm not getting any younger, via the trail centre route. Sessioning being the answer I think.

VamP

Banned
I've done several alps since. Salzburgerland. Slovenia. Other bits of the French ones. And some other mountains. And a fair few UK mountains, too though not so many trail centres. I think I may regain my mojo, if it is to be regained at all, as I'm not getting any younger, via the trail centre route. Sessioning being the answer I think.

Sounds like you got it worked out :thumbsup:

I've put in a small bid for insanity myself today, with a 111 mile ride to the coast. The weatherman is an a***.

Top Bottom