Tyres always flat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife's road bike has always had flat tyres if left for a few days, I've never understood why.

The tyres are continental 23c on a standard 700 rim and it's both of them, at the same rate and time that go flat

First noticed it a few years back after it hadn't been used for some time (I don't recall an issue when it was in regular use)

Tyres seem fine, tubes seem fine and all the usual checks etc...

Any ideas?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some tubes are better than others at holding air. I should try another pair.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Perhaps it's her way of telling you she doesn't want to ride the bike. Daily pressure monitoring is the way to go (in your predicament). Last time I had a long spell between two pressure checks was after a crash (and the bike stayed up-country for a month. The night before I'd inflated the tyre to 90psi. 30 days later the pressure was 72psi (using the same pump/gauge). This pressure loss, is, I consider, reasonable and to be expected. But losing it in a few days: there's something awry; and you need to track it down. And losing at the same rate: spooky. Assume butyl rubber tubes.
How old are the tubes? If you don't know, replace them.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The tubes are about 9 years old, the bike was built in 2009 and given to her two months before our wedding (anniversary was yesterday)

I'll keep an eye on how quick they go down, if they go flat within a week you think it best to replace the tubes then?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For sure and it'll cost you under a tenner. Be careful not to pinch the tubes putting the tyres back if using a tyre lever. If you can use your thumbs working from both sides.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
the tubes in mine are 11 years old and happily holding pressure

with regards the cables, they've been sat not under tension for the past 5 years the bike has been out of use

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But in that time rust will certainly have formed in the housings.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it hadn't been used for some time (I don't recall an issue when it was in regular use)
Any ideas?
The tubes are about 9 years old
the tubes in mine are 11 years old and happily holding pressure
with regards the cables, they've been sat not under tension for the past 5 years the bike has been out of use
You asked for ideas.
1) Replace your wife's bike's tubes asap.
2) Replace yours too.
3) Have a look at the rim tape in the wheels, when you change the tubes.
4) Consider replacing your wife's cables (including outers) in early course.
5) Give the gear changers/ brake lever mechanisms and the derailleurs a generous squirt of WD40/GT85, and wipe.

tamiya

My wife's road bike has always had flat tyres if left for a few days, I've never understood why.

The tyres are continental 23c on a standard 700 rim and it's both of them, at the same rate and time that go flat

First noticed it a few years back after it hadn't been used for some time (I don't recall an issue when it was in regular use)

Tyres seem fine, tubes seem fine and all the usual checks etc...

Any ideas?

Whenever it's not an obvious puncture leak, for slow leaks I'd first be checking/cleaning the valves. Nobody's said it yet above - Easier than pulling tyres off first bat. :smile:

Take valve cap off & submerge, I use a basin that can fill up to 4" of water & stand the wheel in that. Slow leaks can take several minutes for bubble to form at the valve.

When solving valve leaks, sometimes it's the valve & sometimes it's the mounting seat. New valves aren't guaranteed to be good either, I'd rather change in an old valve that's been "tested good" from another tyre if I can.

Top Bottom